Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ea82 timing idler bolt pulled out threads HELP....

Weighmon1
05-20-2015, 11:32 AM
So my timing idler decided to back out and pulled the threads out, i re drilled it and put in a helicoil but didnt notice it went in crooked so the with it being crooked the pressure pulled the threads and bolts out of the timing tensioner so i drilled those out and helicoiled them but going back together the bolts broke off in the helicoils, so now i have to broken bolts in helicoils in the block for the tensioner and still have a crooked timing idler bolt that is helicoiled in. What can I do? Can the idler be drilled out again straight this time? Help please

Crvett69
05-20-2015, 11:46 AM
will have to drill them out and use bigger bolts or find a different type of insert thats a larger dia to fit the stock size bolts or might need to drill out the idler and tensioner holes to accept a larger bolt, might need to pull the engine out to assure you get them done straight this time. you might be tightening them way to tight if your snapping stuff, make sure you use a torque wrench and torque them to proper tightness

Weighmon1
05-20-2015, 11:59 AM
I was thinking of using a stud for the idler if i can get the hole drilled straight since i don't run the timing covers anyway. The motor has 291k on it just need it to hold together for a little while longer, I am doing all repairs in the car since there is no access for a lift or hoist or even a shop or tow from where it is located.

Add your comment to this topic!