Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Suburban 275,000 need plugs out help!

05-19-2015, 09:42 PM
I have 99 Suburban that is starting to have starting issues. Like when it rains and the last 6 months it takes the starter 20 seconds to start the engine. It use to start on the first spin. I bought the suburban new in 99. The plugs and wires and everything else have NEVER been replaced. I now want to pull the plugs and replace them. Any ideas on to remove them as they have been in so long. Should I heat the engine up first? Try them cold? U.S. Penetrating oil? I don't want to strip the threads. Help Please with ideas. Dave

DeltaP
05-20-2015, 07:54 AM
The plugs shouldn't be in there that tight that you can't remove them with the proper sized conventional tools. The engine should be COLD.
But first the PCM, (computer), should be scanned for DTC codes and fuel pressures checked. Any issues here should be dealt with before just changing spark plugs.

05-20-2015, 11:06 AM
I concern is the plug threads are locked into the head threads. Never been removed for 275,000.

j cAT
05-20-2015, 07:19 PM
I have 99 Suburban that is starting to have starting issues. Like when it rains and the last 6 months it takes the starter 20 seconds to start the engine. It use to start on the first spin. I bought the suburban new in 99. The plugs and wires and everything else have NEVER been replaced. I now want to pull the plugs and replace them. Any ideas on to remove them as they have been in so long. Should I heat the engine up first? Try them cold? U.S. Penetrating oil? I don't want to strip the threads. Help Please with ideas. Dave

the plug removal should be done first when cold. if any difficulty loosening the plugs you then go for a drive and when hot try to loosen the plugs.

when you place a cold socket on a plug it will shrink slightly also the heat will loosen the threads more than cold. this is just like the O2 sensors.

you remove the plug wires with a plug wire removal tool. this tool puts pressure on the end of the boot NOT the sides. this causes the boot over the plug to get bigger and break the bond.

with what problems you have and the miles on this 5.7L engine I would guess you need a new distributor plugs plug wires cap rotor and a good amount of dielectric grease to put in the new plug wire boot ends to finish this off properly.
you should be able to go another 100K many have gone 275K with little expensive repairs.

the new trucks made today are plastic cheapo chinese steel crap.. very disappointed in the cheapo quality out there now.. these are now made to get totaled when in accident . its all plastic.

Add your comment to this topic!