Page updated on 10-20-2017

Confusion on Title VS Bill of Sale

AintDeadYet
05-17-2015, 01:22 AM
I have bought a VW Bus, roughly 80's, from my friend, for 250$ [Before you ask, I over paid].

Anyways, he signed the title over, then I pretty much forgot about it, and he as well.

Long story turned short, he traded (with a bill of sale) with some kid for a Tractor and some cash, he never finished the trade, and I just found the title.

Am, I legally allowed to check the VIN number on this bus, if it matches the title, can I bring in local law enforcement to repo the van, if I have a title, and he has a Bill of Sale?

I know this is a weird question, but local law enforcement is as stumped as I am.

Crvett69
05-17-2015, 11:40 AM
if you can transfer the title into your name then legally the vehicle belongs to you. if other person transfers it first then the title is no longer valid

AintDeadYet
05-17-2015, 04:59 PM
if you can transfer the title into your name then legally the vehicle belongs to you. if other person transfers it first then the title is no longer valid

The title is already in my name, I just got caught up in work and family, I totally forgot about it.

Stealthee
05-17-2015, 05:35 PM
If the title is signed over to you then you own the vehicle. What he did basically equates to selling the vehicle twice.

Your best bet though is to call your local DMV and tell them the situation to be 100% sure. You can work it out with your friend from there, and if he wants to be a dick about it then you might have to get law enforcement involved.

Add your comment to this topic!