04 century, A/C question

1995oldsaurora
05-15-2015, 04:43 PM
hello everyone, i have a 2004 Buick Century with about 48,000 miles on it..the A/C blows very cool but not cold,it should be colder..i also have a 2003 century that blows icy cold..i hooked up a cheap gauge to the low side service port on both vehicles and got about the same reading.other then being slightly low on refrigerant is their anything else that would cause the A/C to blow cool air rather then icy cold? the compressors seem to kick on the same on both vehicles.i really don't want to add refrigerant if it's not low... thanks

Tech II
05-15-2015, 07:32 PM
Feel the low side line.....if cold but output is only cool, check temp door operation.....

Cooling fan working?

1995oldsaurora
05-19-2015, 02:38 PM
Feel the low side line.....if cold but output is only cool, check temp door operation.....

Cooling fan working?

both cooling fans are working as they should on each vehicle,the low side line on the 03 did feel slightly colder then the 04. temp doors seem to be working ok.

Tech II
05-20-2015, 10:12 PM
I am not crazy about cheap gages......would prefer a good set on the low and high sides, and getting readings....you want that low side, typically 30-35 psi....high side can vary greatly, depending on the load on the system(ambient air temp, humidity, etc.).....

Also check for debris in the fins of the condenser in front of the radiator.......

1995oldsaurora
05-21-2015, 04:21 PM
I am not crazy about cheap gages......would prefer a good set on the low and high sides, and getting readings....you want that low side, typically 30-35 psi....high side can vary greatly, depending on the load on the system(ambient air temp, humidity, etc.).....

Also check for debris in the fins of the condenser in front of the radiator.......

thanks Tech II, i did take a long shot and changed the cabin air filter,it was filthy,clogged with all kinds of dirt and debris..the A/C does feel colder,but i'm not sure if that's due to the outside temp only being 63,or if the A/C is working more efficient with a clean filter..i'll see how it feels when temp gets back into the 80's..

Add your comment to this topic!