Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'67 Chevelle Won't Start

donayee
05-07-2015, 02:32 PM
My 1967 Chevelle Malibu won't start; in order for the car to start it needs to have fuel poured into the carburetor but once it does it will run just fine. The fuel will not reach the fuel filter, it's a 350 with a Holley carb.

I would say the fuel pump is fine due to the car running just fine when it is started, so I think it's the butterfly valve or a defective tube that leads to the fuel filter but I would like more speculation on what you think it could be. Any help is great help and I can clarify more information for you if you'd like.

It's the summer and I would love to get it running as a dependable runner, far too scared of getting stranded in it while on a cruise. Thanks all. :]

maxwedge
05-07-2015, 06:39 PM
Can we assume the choke closes when cold?

donayee
05-07-2015, 07:13 PM
Can we assume the choke closes when cold?

I wouldn't have any idea, is there any way I can tell? What am I looking or listening for? Once it has fuel poured in it fires right up with no struggle and runs real good, it just never wants to cold start. After it runs I can turn it off and then turn it back on again.

maxwedge
05-08-2015, 01:43 PM
When the air cleaner is off, is the choke plate closed over?

Ol'Jim
05-19-2015, 10:05 AM
What is your startup routine - Do you depress the gas pedal to the floor one time, release it, then turn the key to the Start position?
I recently helped a fella who had the same issue with a classic he just purchased. He refused to pump the gas before trying to start it, because his owners manual for his newer, fuel-injected car told him not to do that. I convinced him that fuel injection automatically adjusts to a richer (more fuel) mixture for cold starts, but that a carburetor requires that pedal pump to set the choke, and also to provide a squirt of fuel from the accelerator pump. He was amazed when it fired right up. Depending on state of tune, and weather conditions, some older cars need 2 pumps of the gas pedal, especially if the choke is not adjusted correctly.

Add your comment to this topic!