Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

need to narrow parts

88Porsche944
05-04-2015, 09:41 PM
What is the best way to cut the body parts, diagonal or vertical for the best fit when reattaching?

Thanks,

Trevor

MPWR
05-04-2015, 10:35 PM
Can you be a bit more specific? I'm not sure I follow.

88Porsche944
05-04-2015, 11:09 PM
I'll try. I've got a front and rear end of a car that is too wide to fit the car I want it to go on.

Kjenjak
05-05-2015, 03:39 AM
I always use a Dremel power tool with the thinnest available cutting wheel for such works on body parts. If you have a steady hand, and and cut in the right direction, so the excess material will be on the inside of the body, you get a very clean cut, that will be easy to repair.
Or you could use a photo-etched saw, or some other kind of very thin metal saw blade. Their cuts can be even thinner, but you have to be more careful in the beginning, so you saw just in one spot and not all over the place.

88Porsche944
05-05-2015, 11:02 AM
I always use a Dremel power tool with the thinnest available cutting wheel for such works on body parts. If you have a steady hand, and and cut in the right direction, so the excess material will be on the inside of the body, you get a very clean cut, that will be easy to repair.
Or you could use a photo-etched saw, or some other kind of very thin metal saw blade. Their cuts can be even thinner, but you have to be more careful in the beginning, so you saw just in one spot and not all over the place.

I'll be a using P.E. saw blade. I don't have much luck with the Dremel.

nugundam93
05-05-2015, 01:32 PM
you could use a few layers of electrical tape to mark the border for what you'll be cutting if you're using a dremel. that way, if you do slip, it'll cut the tape first and you can still be on-track.

for large areas, i use the router. for smaller ones, i just use a PE saw.

GTRfan01
05-08-2015, 07:02 AM
the dremel will work but i wouldnt use a abrasive cutting disc, they just melt the styrene, the mini PE saw cutting wheels that are sold to fit a dremel however cut through very nicly, make sure you use a fine one though.
just dont slip :p

MPWR
05-08-2015, 07:24 AM
I've heard (but have not tried) that heavy duty sewing thread can be used to cut along panel lines. I've been tempted to try using thread held on a flexi file frame (http://www.flex-i-file.com/flex-i-file.php).

Sooner or later I expect I'll try it. I just haven't yet felt much need to cut apart any bodies. :dunno:

yelo
05-08-2015, 09:23 AM
I've heard (but have not tried) that heavy duty sewing thread can be used to cut along panel lines. I've been tempted to try using thread held on a flexi file frame (http://www.flex-i-file.com/flex-i-file.php).

Sooner or later I expect I'll try it. I just haven't yet felt much need to cut apart any bodies. :dunno:

It work, i've done it... I even made a bigger frame similar to a flex i file, about a foot long for easier acces and longer stroke

Add your comment to this topic!