Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

turn signal - trailer problem

Johnson in Tucson
05-04-2015, 04:17 PM
Have a problem with the left turn signal on a '04 ram 1500 when hooking up a trailer.
The signal light works on the truck but does not when plugging the trailer into the jack in the bumper or the plug-in in the harness in back of the bumper.
The problem is not a fuse problem; it is not a problem with the trailer lights.
I do not have a wiring diagram for the truck so I can't really trace it.
My Big Tex trailer dealer does no have a solution; I've talked to the Dodge dealer - he wants to go exploring @$100+ per hour.
Has anyone else had a problem like this?
Johnson in Tucson

Chris Stewart
05-04-2015, 06:40 PM
Do the brake lights work on the truck when plugged in to the trailer wiring?

So the turn signals don't work at all, including the instrument panel indicators & front turn signals when plugged to the trailer wiring?

MikeCStig
05-04-2015, 10:17 PM
$100/hr for "exploring"? Who does this prick think he is, a neurosurgeon? I don't know what the cause of your issue is, but I do know that he's charging too much to try and find it, plus who knows how many hours it will allegedly take to find the problem.
My advice; shop around for a better price, because that is pretty steep for some electrical diagnostics.

Stealthee
05-05-2015, 10:13 AM
I bet if you look around on your local craigslist you can find a backyard mechanic that will look into it for a lot cheaper.

I'm not even an electrical expert and I could probably get onto the right track with just a test light.

Add your comment to this topic!