Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 Caravan 3.3L Coolant level

baron1701
04-29-2015, 02:06 PM
Hi - I have replaced my Thermostat, radiator, metal coolant pipe and water pump and still my coolant burps out of the overflow tank.

The last radiator looked good until I pulled it. It was in very poor shape. NASTY and must have been leaking for a long while. The coolant would bubble with the cap off.

The new radiator - pump - thermostat works great, no bubbles. I was worried about a head gasket or intake gasket. It still wont maintain high coolant level.

It wont pull in coolant from the overflow. I check the hose and the coolant moves freely. I even cut the hose back a half inch and clamped it on the radiator for a good seal.

I did a block test but the AutoZone gave me a used bottle of test fluid with barely enough in it so it was inconclusive. The test looked good but fluid got into it and I didn't have enough to retest. I may do another test if I have time.

When I check the coolant its always a liter or so down. Car doesn't overheat and runs great otherwise. Engine has 186,000.

Any Ideas?

Crvett69
04-29-2015, 02:56 PM
if your radiator cap if bad or weak it won't hold a vacuum to pull coolant back out of the overflow bottle. also if the overflow hose has a small pinhole in it, it won't pull the water back into the radiator

baron1701
04-29-2015, 03:02 PM
if your radiator cap if bad or weak it won't hold a vacuum to pull coolant back out of the overflow bottle. also if the overflow hose has a small pinhole in it, it won't pull the water back into the radiator

I have done the cap, twice but I have not replaced the tube.
I will try that and see how it goes. Thank you : )

Add your comment to this topic!