Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 Optima electrical

tajfish
04-28-2015, 02:04 PM
My car was broke into and looks like they tried to get it started. I do not see any wires cut. the lights come on inside the car and the alarm goes on when key is on. But nothing from the starter. Any one have a wire diagram of starting/ignition system and maybe a page or two from a electrical troubleshooting manual for this car? Trying to get it running for my son who needs it for work. Thanks, Tom

Battery was checked and shows 12 volts. We did find ignition fuse #1 and #2 (30 amp) under the hood and both were blown replaced but still not hitting the starter. Unhooked connector to ignition switch and jumped from the bat + red ignition wire to the yellow starter wire and the starter turns over, also jumped from bat + to the pink wire which is supposed to be accesory and there was a buzzing noise from center of dash but none of the lights on the instrument panel or the radio come on.
Replaced ignition switch and now the smarter turns over and a/c is energized. Still no dash lights or fuel pump. Anyone know where the fuel pump relay is. Does not seem to be in main fuse box under the hood Not sure what I can check next, any information would be helpful.
Thanks

tajfish
05-14-2015, 09:07 AM
Started testing voltage on anything we thought could have been messed with while they tried to get the car hot wired. Found voltage varing at new ignition switch. Removed and realized that's where they used the coat hangers. The sockets were spread open so the new ig switch was not making good contact. Tightened all sockets and reinstalled ig switch. Car is now back on the road. Though I did not get any responses on this one I thought I would post our findings in case someone else would be in the same scenario. Thanks for looking it does give moral support when you see others are at least checking.

I will close this with a thank you and see you next time

Tom

Add your comment to this topic!