Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ford Head Redesign Causing Problems

54yroldkid
03-23-2015, 02:40 PM
Haven't seen any reports on this but Ford did a head redesign on there 5.4L engine and possibly there other engines not sure. The redesign required them to re-engineer the spark plugs. With most spark plugs running 100k between changes you could end up spending $150-$300 more to have spark plugs changed. The cause is the spark plug design, the carbon builds up between the head and the plug which seizes the plug to the head and the plug snaps off leaving part of the plug in the engine. There is a tool on the market to remove the electrode that shank that was left behind. To possibly stop this from happening you will need to change your plugs ~30k or take your chances snapping them off.
I first ran into this working a a automobile repair shop. i was shocked that Ford or any other auto manufacture would design and market a engine with this problem.

65comet
03-24-2015, 07:44 AM
Ford stopped those plugs about 10 years ago. Unfortunately they won't change them at their cost. Many a post on how to do the change in ways that cut way down on the possibility of snapping have been done.

DeltaP
03-29-2015, 09:35 AM
Common problem on all Ford 3 valve engines. Here's how I deal with them:
Blow the dirt out of each plug recess. Loosen each plug about 1/4 turn, spray about a 1/2 ounce of CARB CLEANER around each plug and let it soak. Then proceed to remove them. I've found the ones that make a lot of noise, screeching, jerking, etc are the ones that'll come out ok. The ones that turn smooth are the ones that'll snap. Then you'll need the tool,(s). As they break in different ways. Hope this helps.

MikeCStig
03-29-2015, 01:52 PM
Pulling and checking spark plugs frequently is a good idea. I've always pulled mine every 10k miles just to look at them. Its a good way to stop them getting seized up and breaking off during a routine tune up, and looking at your plugs can tell you a lot about what's going on inside your engine.
No spark plug should ever stay in an engine for 100k miles. 30k, 40k maximum. At 100k you might as well just weld them in place.:screwy:

Add your comment to this topic!