Page updated on 11-18-2017

Tamiya F40

willimo
03-04-2015, 07:00 PM
Has anyone built this, gluing the hood shut? The big clear window, plus the fact that this car just looks like a total butthead when all closed up, means I'd rather not worry about the ill fitting panels and just sew it up. Any big challenges? I intend to add a rim around the bottom diffuser to line it up with the hood shell during final assembly (much better than plan A, to cut the diffuser off and just glue it to the rest of the body).

Thanks.

Veyron
03-04-2015, 08:44 PM
Mine built up just fine. Clam shell actually opens and closes freely and fits to the lower rear nicely when closed. Just remember the rear window goes on from the outside....I've seen people brainfart and try to put in in from the inside. It's a decent kit IMO.

Hemi Killer
03-05-2015, 10:07 AM
Its not that bad of a kit. It takes a little bit to get the decklid to sit correctly but not enough to warrant gluing it shut. And thats coming from a lazy person

ferrariscale
04-03-2015, 03:06 AM
Thanx for the heads up, I've just started this kit as well.

Some_Kid
04-04-2015, 09:32 AM
The engine lid is easily fixable. The biggest flaw on the kit is the inner window scoop towards the back. The kit calls for you to paint part of the clear window plastic red, but in reality that is a seamless part of the body. You'll need to cut or sand down the clear piece and then add some plastic and putty.

nugundam93
04-07-2015, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the heads-up. Have one which I intend to build soon...after I recover from the two monogram F40s that I did. hahaha.

drunken monkey
04-10-2015, 02:21 PM
One of the turbos also needs work and if I recall correctly, is installed wrong according to the instructions.
MPWR's build is maybe the nest guide for this kit that I have seen.

Hemi Killer
04-13-2015, 12:24 AM
I bought some resin turbos from TDR Innovations on Shapeways. I will be replacing the kit turbos with those. MUCH better. I ordered 4-5 sets before I got the right size

Add your comment to this topic!