Page updated on 11-22-2017

Need some advises to strip tamiya paint

georges99
03-03-2015, 09:32 AM
Hi everyone !

I need some advice to trip Tamiya paint from a fujimi plastic kit.

I have use the Tamiya TS47 spray paint from a can, over primer.

Any good recommendations ?

Thank you in advance
George

joelwideqvist
03-03-2015, 09:58 AM
I've used brakefluid with fine results.

griffin-gt40
03-03-2015, 10:22 AM
I see you live in Canada too,

go to Walmart, find Super Clean, big purple jug ( use to be called Castrol Super Clean

put in big plastic container (like a 4L ice cream tub....I'd eat the ice cream first tho)

leave it for about 24-48 hours, pending on how old the paint is

paint should just flake off, I use an old tooth brush to scrub the body/parts to lift of the paint to expose any layers beneath, let is soak some more

make sure the wear gloves, the liquid pulls oils from the paints and it will do the same to your hands if you don't wear some gloves

big jug is about $20 bucks, lasts a very long time....its also good for stripping chrome plating too and will not hurt or melt plastic if you forget about it

David

JimboCO
03-03-2015, 12:42 PM
Another alternative is to use isopropyl alchohol

Kjenjak
03-03-2015, 01:48 PM
I've always used Tamiya Paint Killer. If you put a tissue around the part(s), to keep the liquid in place, a few drops will do, and the paint will come off after 10 minutes, including the primer (and unfortunately also putty).

ZoomZoomMX-5
03-03-2015, 01:50 PM
Tamiya sprays seem to strip easiest with the most inexpensive solution, aka 91% isopropyl alcohol (aka rubbing alcohol). The purple cleaner may not even touch it. Brake fluid should work.

Beakster
03-03-2015, 03:57 PM
Isopropyl alcohol is the way to go. Discovered that by accident... Whoops!

MPWR
03-04-2015, 09:07 AM
Isopropyl alcohol is the beat everything way to strip Tamiya TS paints. Nothing is more effective. It is also the thing for stripping acrylics.

Brake fluid would likely work- but brake fluid can do some pretty strange things to plastic. It's also unnecessarily toxic, and unnecessarily expensive. If you really want to repaint the parts, there are better options. Brake fluid is a great way to ruin paint- but that doesn't make it necessarily a good stripper.

Not sure that Super Clean or Purple Power will work well. They are great for stripping enamels and ok for acrylics, but often not so good for lacquers.

stevenoble
03-04-2015, 09:49 AM
IPA all the way, it will strip Tamiya TS with no problem. Brake fluid would work but it's not my preferred method. It can make the plastic brittle and can also make any dyes in coloured plastic bleed out.

Hemi Killer
03-04-2015, 02:39 PM
I have used brake fluid for a long time. The first time I tried the 91% alcohol, it was much better than the brake fluid.

Now I use brake fluid for enamels and Alcohol for the Tamiya lacquer. The brake fluid doesn't get the Tamiya in one shot and handling it is not good for you.

georges99
03-04-2015, 07:20 PM
I see you live in Canada too,

go to Walmart, find Super Clean, big purple jug ( use to be called Castrol Super Clean

put in big plastic container (like a 4L ice cream tub....I'd eat the ice cream first tho)

leave it for about 24-48 hours, pending on how old the paint is

paint should just flake off, I use an old tooth brush to scrub the body/parts to lift of the paint to expose any layers beneath, let is soak some more

make sure the wear gloves, the liquid pulls oils from the paints and it will do the same to your hands if you don't wear some gloves

big jug is about $20 bucks, lasts a very long time....its also good for stripping chrome plating too and will not hurt or melt plastic if you forget about it

David

Thanks David !

Yes, i am from Montreal.

Thank you for the advise. Will do, ASP.
The paint is very recent, so it should be pretty easy to strip.

thank's again.

georges99
03-04-2015, 07:24 PM
Thank you very much guy's.

Your suggestions are great.

Thank you everyone's.

MaRiO FDZ
03-04-2015, 09:31 PM
Brake fluid is bad for plastic. You'll eventually get cracks all over till the piece crumbles. I learned the hard way.
Degreaser won't attack Tamiya TS paints.

The only thing I've found to work is SURPRIsingly, 90%+ Isopropyl Alcohol. Dip the piece overnight and scrub with a toothbrush. Some scrub work is needed but it works.

Trust me

nascar49
03-06-2015, 12:01 AM
I have in the past had the Purple cleaner remove Tamiya Paint , but I think I just got lucky , it will however remove their primer.

I am going to be one more person say 91% IPA, that is what you need, dont bother trying to use purple cleaner, dont bother trying to use oven cleaner.

Also, it may take some time for it work, I have had it work over night, or sometimes, takes a week or longer, it all depends.

John18d
03-08-2015, 12:42 AM
Georges - I'm in agreement with the majority of replies - Isopropyl Alcohol 91%

Make sure you get the 91% not the 70% "rubbing" alcohol
You can get it at Walmart for about $3.00 for a liter and you can soak the item to be stripped and then pour the IPA 91% back in the bottle and reuse it again and again

Hope this helps - I think it is the "BEST" method for Tamiya TS paints

John

georges99
03-08-2015, 11:38 AM
Thank you for all the informations.

I decided to go with brake oil, and I have to say, i am very happy with the result.

As am writing this post, the body as been primed, and the 3 first coat of yellow paint as been applied.

MaRiO FDZ
03-08-2015, 11:42 AM
Thank you for all the informations.

I decided to go with brake oil, and I have to say, i am very happy with the result.

As am writing this post, the body as been primed, and the 3 first coat of yellow paint as been applied.

Brake fluid is bad for modls, mmmkay? You will notice that you'll start getting small cracks, specially at angles. Do NOT put pressure on the pice or it will plainly just crumble. I had a 93 McLaren's cowling that is no more.

Take care

georges99
03-08-2015, 11:49 AM
Here are some photos of the progress.

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b488/georges99/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20Georges%20Papillons%20iMac/IMG_8812_zpsc3665273.jpg

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b488/georges99/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20Georges%20Papillons%20iMac/IMG_8819_zps8f826a75.jpg

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b488/georges99/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20Georges%20Papillons%20iMac/IMG_8823_zps6436357c.jpg

John18d
03-08-2015, 11:53 AM
Brake fluid is bad for modls, mmmkay? You will notice that you'll start getting small cracks, specially at angles. Do NOT put pressure on the pice or it will plainly just crumble. I had a 93 McLaren's cowling that is no more.

Take care

George, Mario - is right - brake fluid will tend to make the plastic "styrene" brittle - that's why they don't use plastic "styrene" in auto and motorcycle brake systems. They might use teflon, but NOT plastic "styrene" which is what models are made of

IPA 91% has no detrimental effect on plastic "styrene" used in models.

The longer you soak painted models in brake fluid the more brittle the plastic becomes.

John

John18d
03-08-2015, 11:59 AM
George - what model kit and manufacture is the "Yellow" Ferrari??

Thanks
John

georges99
03-08-2015, 12:12 PM
George - what model kit and manufacture is the "Yellow" Ferrari??

Thanks
John

Hi John !

This is a Fujimi F12 Ferrari kit.
The paint am using, is Tamiya spray paint.

Add your comment to this topic!