Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1997 Suburban 6.5 Brake Drum Removal

irbf
02-15-2015, 08:48 AM
1997 Suburban 4WD 6.5L

This truck is marked as "1500" but appears to have a 3/4 ton frame under it.

The wheels have 8 lugs.

I think I have semi-floating axles as there is no center hub through wheel.

I need to change the rear brakes and cannot get the drum to budge. Not even a bit. I do not want to damage anything by using excessive force.

How do these come off? As with a normal five lug drum? Do I just need to let soak with PB Blaster for a couple days?

Any detail I am missing? Seems to me that if the brake shoes were holding it in place there would be at least some wiggle or sign of wanting to come off.

Another question; with the existing brake shoes any moisture and they grab really bad. As an example, if I launch a boat (fresh water) and come back hours later to retrieve the boat when I tap the brakes they will just about lock up. Is there a specific type of brake shoe material that I should use to avoid this problem in the future?

Any help appreciated...

j cAT
02-15-2015, 06:59 PM
since this is some hacked up vehicle you best post pictures.

these type vehicles will be very expensive to repair if others work on it.[hacked]

4wd 1500 should have 6 lug 2500/3500 8 lugs.

777stickman
02-15-2015, 08:46 PM
Give them a good whack with a small sledge hammer on the back side of the drum in four different positions. Most likely they are seized up on the lug studs.

A 1500 with a 6.5 diesel? Very unlikely.

irbf
02-22-2015, 08:10 AM
I soaked the drums wit PB Blaster around the center and studs. I let it set for an evening and then they came off fairly easy with a whack from a large pipe wrench (got to use the proper tool for the job).

The drums are 13" with the 2.5" shoes. The drums are quite heavy.

The brakes stopped being effective as the adjusters were completely rusted and froze.

Had the drums turned, replaced shoes, all hardware, self adjusters and cylinders.

Reassembled and working great. Can not believe the difference.

While under the truck I replaced the rear shocks.

With regard to the truck I am the second owner. I have the original window sticker. Sold for $47K in 97 as a K1500 but definitely on a 3/4 ton chassis. 8 lugs, semi floating axle, 13" drums, skid plates, etc... Truck garage kept and with 240K still looks like new. 17 in the city and as good as 24 on the highway. Only repeat problem is the PMD (pump mounted driver) which I relocated to a heat sink and carry a spare with tools to change.

777stickman
02-22-2015, 06:47 PM
Good job and thanks for posting back.

I have a friend with the 6.5 and has had trouble with the PMD. I will pass this along to him.

Add your comment to this topic!