Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

additional battery...

RaceOn
02-05-2015, 05:15 PM
Hi all,
I purchased a 1998 b1500 van with a wheelchair lift for my father who had a stroke, the van is great except for the w/c lift. once you use it to get into the van you can't start the van because the battery is just about dead.:uhoh: I got to thinking that maybe what it needs is a second battery, like a diesel vehicle. has anyone added a second battery to their van for any reason? If you did how did you go about the install?Btw, It's already equipped with a deep cycle 27 series battery.Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Regards,
Pat

alloro
02-05-2015, 05:20 PM
Sure it wouldn't hurt to install a second battery, or you could install a remote start system and start the van so that it's already running when he uses the WC lift.

RaceOn
02-07-2015, 05:27 PM
Sure it wouldn't hurt to install a second battery, or you could install a remote start system and start the van so that it's already running when he uses the WC lift.
Thanks for the idea. Same thought I originally came up with so I had it installed, unfortunately the side doors will not open with engine running. I might have to have a different r/s installed. as the old saying goes" no good deed goes unpunished". I'll keep looking, I guess

Regards,
Pat

DeltaP
02-07-2015, 05:58 PM
Might wanna consider installing a blocking diode to prevent both batteries from running down from over use. So the van can always start.

Add your comment to this topic!