Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

distributor installation 98 5.7

mega8man
01-31-2015, 07:10 PM
Hi all, I'm trying to replace the distributor on my 98 5.7 vortec. I am only replacing it because my truck was running real rough and when I started looking at possible problems I noticed that my distributor was pretty much not even bolted down. I am amazed it was still running. Anyways I have the engine at tdc on cylinder 1 and I can get the distributor to spin in but not where it is supposed to be it will only go in two positions, both of which are not on cylinder 1, I read that it is the oil pump and that I need to spin it with a flat blade screw driver but the driver just bottoms out and never catches on anything, is there something I'm missing? Thanks:banghead:

Crvett69
01-31-2015, 08:19 PM
if you are sure you are on compression stoke you can bump engine over till dist drops down the last 1/4" or so then can use a timing light to set it. if all it does is backfire its probably not on compression stroke so your 180 degrees out.

mega8man
01-31-2015, 08:26 PM
It only seems to be off by about 60 degrees, the spiral gears will mesh at any position I want them too but will stop about an eight in short in all positions except two

Crvett69
01-31-2015, 08:34 PM
get dist as close as you can to right point then if you turn engine over it will turn the shaft until it matches the oil pump slot and drop down. either that or get a real long regular screwdriver. look down the hole with a light and turn the oil pump shaft a little then try distributor again. might take several trys to get it right. if you do spin the engine over by hand pr with starter just let dist sit the loose, don't push down or use hold down till it drops into oil pump slot

777stickman
01-31-2015, 08:45 PM
Lots of info here. Need to follow all the procedures to get it close. A timing light for this install is of no use. What is needed is a high end scan tool that can access "cam retard" or "cam offset". This is the only way to set "base" timing for the vortec motors. The spec is 0* +/- 2* @ 1500 rpm.

If you don't get it right you'll end up with a P1345 code.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=distributor+install+98+5.7+vortec

Add your comment to this topic!