Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1998 K1500 Blend Door

JRSpann
01-19-2015, 12:13 PM
For months now I've had a problem with the cabin temperature control. It is either hot or cold, no in-between. It also clicked all the time. Now it has gotten so I can't get cool fresh air. All HOT. I've narrowed my problem down to the blend door actuator. Removing the glove box lets me see (I think) the actuator, but not get to it to replace it. How do I go about getting to this actuator to replace it?

rhandwor
01-19-2015, 01:12 PM
Make sure you have vacuum before pulling the actuator. I had a 1999 impala and the heater control had a dial with a rotary switch with a lot of vacuum tubes going to it.

JRSpann
01-19-2015, 02:12 PM
Make sure you have vacuum before pulling the actuator. I had a 1999 impala and the heater control had a dial with a rotary switch with a lot of vacuum tubes going to it.

I believe this is the electronic one. No visible vacuum hoses. I'm still trying to figure out how to get to it to remove/replace it.

gmtech1
01-19-2015, 03:17 PM
According to Alldata, the dash needs to be taken loose and "rolled foreward". You may need to get creative, or loosen the dash.

Schurkey
01-20-2015, 03:45 AM
How silly of Alldata. The dash can't roll forward.

However, once you remove the steering column and other items, it can pivot REARward. It just swings back until it rests on the seat.

I've only done this once, on my '88 K1500. I had the service manual to guide me and it was still a pain in the ass.

In my case, I was replacing the rotted foam gaskets of the HVAC system, but I suppose you'd need to pivot the dash for access to the actuators.

Buy the service manual, follow the diagnostic procedure.

http://hbassociates.us/K1500_heater_1.JPG

JRSpann
01-20-2015, 12:09 PM
This is the most helpful so far, but I'm still in the dark about "rotating" the dash. Is it held in place by screws at the bottom and clips at the top? Will the instrument panel, radio and all associated stuff stay in the dash for the rotation, or do some parts have to be removed? I have a Chilton manual, but it's no help on such as dash removal.

Schurkey
01-20-2015, 12:36 PM
This is the most helpful so far, but I'm still in the dark about "rotating" the dash. Is it held in place by screws at the bottom and clips at the top? Will the instrument panel, radio and all associated stuff stay in the dash for the rotation, or do some parts have to be removed? I have a Chilton manual, but it's no help on such as dash removal.
Chilton manuals are mostly a waste of perfectly-good paper.

You need the REAL service manual for your vehicle. My '88 manual is in multiple volumes plus a separate book for the wiring. Helm Inc. sells them new, I get them from eBay. Prices vary--I paid $30 with shipping for the manuals for my Lumina, but I was pricing a manual for a friend's 2011 pickup and it was $250.

A very quick search showed this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Chevy-Suburban-Tahoe-Escalade-C-K-1500-pickup-truck-shop-service-manual-/361170044757?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item5417698755&vxp=mtr

JRSpann
03-29-2015, 04:06 PM
After a couple of days of hard (mostly tedious) labor and a cracked rib, I finally got the blend door actuator replaced without removing the dash. I ended up having to do some cutting on a metal bracket that stood between me and one of the screws on the blend door. I also modified one of my sockets (shortened it by about 1/8") to get it into the tight space. This is not a job for the faint of heart.
But it is REALLY nice to have infinitely adjustable temp air coming out of the vents again.

777stickman
03-29-2015, 07:46 PM
After a couple of days of hard (mostly tedious) labor and a cracked rib, I finally got the blend door actuator replaced without removing the dash. I ended up having to do some cutting on a metal bracket that stood between me and one of the screws on the blend door. I also modified one of my sockets (shortened it by about 1/8") to get it into the tight space. This is not a job for the faint of heart.
But it is REALLY nice to have infinitely adjustable temp air coming out of the vents again.

Great Job JR!! Some times fortitude (aka tedious) and "modifications" pay off in the long run. Sure hope the rib heals real soon.............Steve

Add your comment to this topic!