Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2007 Dodge Caravan headlight problem

uscatbird
01-15-2015, 02:05 PM
My 2007 Dodge Caravan has only one working headlight, the passenger side does not work on high or low beams.

At this time I'm wondering if the problem is in the headlight plug itself, because there are no other complications other than the passenger side not working.

The light did work at first on high beams but now not at all. replacing bulbs makes no difference.

There is some brown discoloring on the white strip on the plug face, nothing like this on the driver side.

Also hoping that the problem is not the relay or front control module.

Thanks for any help you can give!

RIP
01-20-2015, 04:20 PM
You turn the switch to on, the BCM sees the on command and sends it out the PCI data bus to the IPM/FCM. The FCM tells the headlight to turn on. No fuses or relays in the circuit.

Looking at a diagram it appears the headlights have dual grounds, one in the IPM and another external at ground point G300 so that may not be the problem but is still worth checking at pin 2 (black/tan wire) at the headlight connector. Low beam power is at pin 1 (white/tan) and high beam is at pin 3 (white/gray). If you're not seeing 12vdc there could be a wire or FCM issue. The FCM splits the turn on command to each individual lamp.

Just for grins try pulling the IOD fuse or disconnecting the negative battery cable for 5 minutes. This will reset the data bus/BCM/FCM.

uscatbird
01-20-2015, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the help, I'll try pulling the fuse, but if that doesn't work, I'm thinking about replacing the headlight connector.

RIP
01-20-2015, 11:08 PM
Be a shame to go to the trouble of changing the connector only to find you never had voltage at the connector in the first place. A $15 dollar meter from WalMart and 10 minutes is all you need. Not sure how? Let me know.

Add your comment to this topic!