Page updated on 11-18-2017

What happened to scale modeling on the internet?

Pages : [1] 2

joelwideqvist
01-15-2015, 04:08 AM
I started modeling in 2001 and pretty soon found out that there was no modeling club in my home town. There had been one but it had to close due to lack of interest.

I found some discussion groups on the internet, then found AF and SPC forums. There were a steady flow with threads, discussions and comments Had to cut down on modeling in 2008 and when I returned a year ago or so I found something had changed. The tempo in mentioned forums had turned from high to pretty low (just have a look at 360spiders frustration regardning the interest in the AFMOTY) and now I'm trying to analyze what happened.

Have people moved on elsewhere or just turned away from showing their work on the net? If that is the case, why?

Toy store in town that sells model kit sais that there is absolutely no regrowth into the hobby. Kids just want videogames. But I guess we are a lot of middle aged people that still do modeling and HAS been on the Internet sharing our work and making contact with fellow modelers. Was it just the charm of novelty when Internet boomed? Personaly I don't think so. Is it just life that came between, as for me back in -08?

For me, that have almost none in my friend base that do modeling, internet forums has been a great well to find knowledge. Please share your thoughts and input on the subject.

/Joel

mike@af
01-15-2015, 07:06 AM
The rise of Facebook and Instagram took a lot of attention away from forums. Many people share there work on Facebook groups, or even their own Facebook profiles. There are Facebook groups for SPC, and many other modeling groups that have a lot of attention and posting going on.

lovegt40
01-15-2015, 07:18 AM
modelling clubs very often followed the presence of modelling shops. They disappear and clubs usually too. then was forums. some (like this one) are still very nice. many are crap, but you can always choose.

FB is a great choiche to see other people works,also I did a sort of fanpage about my artworks (mostly a guy I know did it for me..) but sometimes is disappointing cause too many models and dioramas look amazingly nicer than everything seen before, and you cant know is handmade, 3dmade or photoshop made.
Check at some ships diorama....amazing.

What surely is better today is the access to informations and the possibility to have it quickly and at price shops can never have.

About afmoty I suspect is just a lazyness and no interest in being competitive vs. others. I am the same way, but anyway want to be part of it, at least to be thanksful for the effort of some unknown guys around the world to organize something here, as I did with Phil for the porsche 911 gallery tribute. I know I cant match SB,puffrys,chris,alex, micahil, roman and too many others,but anyway want to be WITH theme, always trying to learn something....

sjelic
01-15-2015, 07:20 AM
Hi Joel,
I would say that time bring changes, as always. I am also sad when I see only few new threads every now and then, but I am also guilty for not putting anything on, even thou I am still doing some models, not as much as before but few a year.
I can only talk for myself and I can tell you that I hate to take photos and I really hate to upload pictures in this form of communication, I know this is wrong and I am sorry that it is like that.
Like the internet evolves, we all try to follow, this is why I use tumblr or instagram or pintrest for sharing photos, to use a phone camera is much easier for me and to upload and write few words....much much easier.
I know I lost a lot of nice contacts I have had in past and this is the thing that bothers me the most.
Still, I always look at AF, I write almost nothing now days, but still I love to take a look from time to time.

joelwideqvist
01-15-2015, 07:58 AM
My wife let me know the other day that she couldn't understand my thrill regarding the modeling forums. Why can't you just build for yourself but have to show others, not only completed builds but even WIP she asked. I did some thinking and I came to the conclusion that I, like most humans, am a social creature that want to talk to others regarding common interests. Isn't that why people attend gym class, watch soccer together or share baking recepies?

I have no relation to any model builders at work or in my closer range of friends. Without forums that would leave me sitting in my room alone, building stuff for the sole purpose of building, wich I find rather dull. I don't have to compete with others but comparing makes me evolve and pick up techniques from others.

Interesting to read your posts and I agree to your conclusion that everything changes over time and perhaps the time of forums as I used to know them has run out. My thoughts on the use of Facebook, Instagram and other similar tools to show your work makes the essence of modeling go away. The slow, mindful process of building these gems gets lost in the flow of everyday life. Everything moves faster and faster wich is probably the sole reason to why there is no regrowth. :disappoin

I don't want to be the party pooper but there is something in that constant hunt for progress and a faster life that makes me sad.

BVC500
01-15-2015, 08:45 AM
Good post. I've noticed this forum to be much quieter, though I check it every day. I can say the same for the eBay modeling market - dried up, but that could be for other reasons. I just don't finish models anymore - don't have the time, and I have never posted WIPs! I'll prep, paint and polish a body, do a few other things, and then it just sits for years. I will tell you that a big factor that stalled my building in the past couple years and gave me a lot of frustration: switching to 2k clear. Just learning how to use and then polish that damn(!) paint out set me back forever.

JTRACING
01-15-2015, 09:44 AM
Lots of people are on YouTube now making videos.

The only good forum left for automotive models is model cars magazine http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/

stevenoble
01-15-2015, 09:55 AM
I came back to the bench recently and posted my Sauber C31 first and now my Lotus 102b on the forum. Interest is minimal, I've made more update posts than I've had replies. It's a sad fact but no one seems interested any more. Just like you said, no interest in AFMOTY contest either :(

joelwideqvist
01-15-2015, 10:55 AM
Good thing about forums is that it's easier for people to find that spot than for each and everyone to find every youtube channel or interesting builder on FB.

I find this evolution to be pretty sad but to do about it. For me, who almost exclusively build bikes the genre is so narrow that I should probably move to Japan :-)

KC27
01-15-2015, 11:18 AM
I guess less people posting is simply down to less people building. When you're building you want to share and therefore also want to see and encourage what everyone else is doing and learn on the way. And I think less people building is down to less availability of what they want to build. Bit of chicken and egg.

Auto modelling is just much more niche than when I was building as a kid 20 years ago. When you could go to an actual store and browse and maybe pick up something interesting 'passive shopping' rather than now with no stores you only get kits from online by actively searching.

Anecdotal things like:
Modelzone closing;
Tamiya releasing very few new scale model auto kits - tends to be more R/C stuff or completed items;
The brands coming in to fill the void (such as MFH) tend to be right at the very top of the market. The products are for a niche of clients who have the enthusiasm and cash to make it viable.

It is moving away from cheap and easy (so you can learn, make mistakes not too costly, etc) to only at the high end for really committed builders. I super detailed a Tamiya 1/12 Williams FW14B last year and all up kit, detail parts, 3D printing, paints, display case, etc went to several hundred Ģ. At least I saved it back by staying out of the pub!

I am hopeful that 3D printing in the home will give the sector a new injection of life in the next few years by making it cheaper and therefore more accessible. When people can pick what they want in any scale and have the parts printed or reprinted if they make a mistake.

KC

ScratchBuilt
01-15-2015, 03:11 PM
I agree with KC's comment about the connection between less people building and the availability of interesting things to build. Although I don't build kits, for me it's a similar situation with gaming - until there's something on the new-generation consoles that really makes an impression, I'll be sticking with my old Xbox 360. Back in '96 it was an advert for the F1 game that made the original PSX a must-buy...but nowadays there just doesn't seem to be that 'killer-app'.

I can imagine younger potential-modellers losing interest through not being able to build the cars / bikes / planes / tanks that really appeal to them - especially as it doesn't seem to be the 'cheap' hobby it once was. Are kids today as interested in WW2 tanks and aeroplanes, etc, as most of us probably were at the same age? Look at how Lego has changed - 35 years ago it was all relatively basic bricks and plates, but now you've got intricate details and things like the UCS Millennium Falcon with several thousand parts...but a 1:72 Airfix Spitfire model from 1980 is still (I assume?) much the same as the equivalent 2015 version.

Regarding the forum, although I try to post an update every week it just depends on whether I feel there's progress worth showing. With long-term projects it's good to know that people are interested, and it's nice to have the encouragement that comes from the replies. I'm guilty of not posting on other threads as much as I should - if I'm honest, it's because so many of the projects I see are so good, that it's difficult to know what to say! Of course, that's the same support others on this forum show me - so I should return the compliment.

...the problem is, time spent posting is time not spent modelling!

SB

joelwideqvist
01-15-2015, 04:18 PM
VERY interesting input from both KC and SB. I've seen the development in the bike genre but not really reflected upon it. The move from a solid range of Tamiya bikes with a pretty decent stock of aftermarket decal sheets to a situation with superdetail sets several 100 $, metal fork sets and lathe made parts in every other build. You put your finger on something there, it's not an easily accessible hobby anymore. As a new builder it isn't enough to put some Bare metal foil on the fork sliders. The paradox is perhaps that with every superdetailed bike WIP the crowd to show it to is getting smaller and smaller. Like the snake eating its own tail.

joelwideqvist
01-15-2015, 04:20 PM
VERY interesting input from both KC and SB. I've seen the development in the bike genre but not really reflected upon it. The move from a solid range of Tamiya bikes with a pretty decent stock of aftermarket decal sheets to a situation with superdetail sets several 100 $, metal fork sets and lathe made parts in every other build. You put your finger on something there, it's not an easily accessible hobby anymore. As a new builder it isn't enough to put some Bare metal foil on the fork sliders. The paradox is perhaps that with every superdetailed bike WIP the crowd to show it to is getting smaller and smaller. Will it be as fun to build a super detailed bike with parts for 300 $ when you are the sole person to view it (as your spouse isn't interested ;-) ) Like the snake eating its own tail.

Kaj45rpm
01-15-2015, 05:01 PM
I think that the standard of modelling on this web forum is top drawer but I have also seen people criticise inaccurate builds and parts of models. There are a few wannabee experts who nitpick on details. People should be encouraged and helped to improve their skills and techniques. Modelling can be very enjoyable and rewarding but it is also very expensive now. Decal sheets can cost more than the cost of a kit! There are no high street model shops now and everything has to be ordered on the internet. Postage and custom charges add to the expense. When you add in paint etc, the cost climbs and climbs. Also, the major manufacturers don't release enough new models. When was the last Tamiya rally car model - Peugeot 307 in 2006? Hard to believe.

cjsbosox
01-15-2015, 08:03 PM
Interesting subject. As I think about it, the points being made are very valid. I for my part got into the whole WIP thing until my camera broke. Add the fact that uploading takes time and how easy it is to use my iphone, I stopped. Another big factor for me, especially with online contests, is that the photos can enhance or detract from the work performed. Our work is better enjoyed and appreciated in person.

Another obvious issue is the cost. Thankfully i have been building for a while and have a stash of paint etc. But to build the way I want to build, I end up spending enough money that after 2 kits I can buy a plane ticket to the caribbean. Thankfully I met Mr Apoxie Sculpt and can make body mods now. And so I avoid some of those very tempting aftermarket kits. And don't get me started on wheels and decals. Im hoping that my new job at a prototyping, 3d printing and casting company will help with this :)

It seems to me that todays generation here in the US just does not have the patience and focus to build either.

Til we build again---
Ciao

potsie
01-15-2015, 10:03 PM
This is a very interesting thread and it is quite enlightening to read the posts. I know from my own perspective I have been quite limited in the amount of building I have been able to do over the last few years; for a variety of personal and career related reasons. This has definitely reduced my engagement with forums - I will still look regularly but I am not posting often.

When I think about the prolific users of AF when I joined (over 10 years ago!) they must all be middle aged, probably with kids etc. It is perhaps not surprising that these people will not be as visible on the forums as they once were. What is of concern to me is the lack of younger people entering the hobby, and I believe a combination of all the reasons mentioned in previous posts is to "blame". I know my nephews (9 & 12) barely have the attention span to construct a mid-size Lego kit, let alone a model!

I also know from a personal point of view the process of photographing, uploading, posting, etc can sometimes seem a chore. I know it shouldn't, but when the entire process can take an hour or two I find it easy to find other things to do. For this reason I pretty much only post completed threads, and often this will be 4 or 5 models at once as I have devoted half a rainy day to the process.

Interestingly, I think that the proliferation of online availability and my own increase in purchasing power has somehow reduced the "specialness" of building. When I was a kid I would save money all year to buy a kit at the end of the school year and then spend the summer building the kit. On a good year I may have been able to buy two. I would then get at least one kit for my birthday, and that would be the three or four kits a year. Now I have close to 300 kits in my stash, with associated ridiculous amount of aftermarket decals, wheels, etc. Rather than buying a kit and immediately starting it, I put it on the pile... If I never buy another kit I probably still won't build them all!! Yet my wishlist of kits to buy never gets shorter!

And after all this "complaining" I have something some of you seem not to - an extremely supportive wife. In fact she models as well; when she has the time! Of course this means I have no-one saying "Are you sure you really need another Impreza WRC kit? I know you have some decals, but there are already six of those kits in the garage."

So yes, I will keep building and posting at my own fluctuating rate. I will even keep encouraging my nephews to build! Hopefully sites such as these will stay around as they are an excellent and supportive community.

Cheers,
Grant.

joelwideqvist
01-16-2015, 04:09 AM
So, we're closing in on some factors
- No regrowth, many formerly active members has become middle aged were time is not on your side.
- A bit of work taking pictures and uploading them onto a hosting site, easier to take images with mobile phone and post on Facebook, Instagram etc.
- Hobby tends to move from cheap, easy to come by, kits to advanced high level aftermarket detailing.
- All of the above leads to less comments which in turn leads to less interest in posting WIP pictures.

It is with sadness that I agree with all of your thoughts.

turbothirtytwo
01-16-2015, 05:01 AM
Guys you can still buy some cheap kit and build it OOB its not expensive if you dont want to be it expensive....

joelwideqvist
01-16-2015, 08:36 AM
Guys you can still buy some cheap kit and build it OOB its not expensive if you dont want to be it expensive....

That is totally true, I just want to analyze the general tendency in our hobby and why the forum presence is running low.

/Joel

tonioseven
01-16-2015, 08:53 AM
I don't have as much time as I used to to build but I still stay active when I can. I have a teenage son and one in college so between the boys and my wife, my time is mostly family time.

afxracing
01-16-2015, 09:06 AM
I think the lack of entries for AFMOTY has more to do with the very high quality of the builders you have to compete against rather than lack of interest. Having said that I have thrown my hat into the ring and submitted a build for AFMOTY. The first time I have ever entered a model contest.

I am a member of a club (Maryland Automotive Modelers Association) as well as I am active on (3) car modeling forums. We do have a few younger guy joining our model club. But overall I think the number of model builder across all categories is declining. I think model building has evolved to be more of an adult hobby and less a childhood interest. I think the kit manufacturers have embraced this trend and have increased the quality of the kits released and thus increased the price as well.

I am glad for this change. I would much rather buy fewer kits and get higher quality. Lets face it nearly all of already have more kits than we can ever build in our lifetime. Instead of cranking out build after build I like to spend more time on each build. Try it and you will be surprised what your talents can produce and how quickly your skill level can improve.

modellmaker.
01-16-2015, 11:46 AM
Hi everybody.

I've been reading this topic and I think that the biggest point is : TIME
Everybody is very busy doing all sorts of other things that they think it takes to much time to post something.
If I look at myself, I'm also trying for almost two weeks now to post a new update about my Kawasaki.
Everytime I think there is some time something comes up.
But I really hope that you all will keep posting because I check the forum EVERY DAY!!
I can't always reply but you guys give me a lot of inspiration.
Some builds a incredibly beautiful, and that makes it worth to watch.

modellmaker.

ianc911
01-16-2015, 02:56 PM
Much as I love modelling, I'm afraid it's just going to continue to decline over the years; it's doomed to be a dying breed.

A lot of us love it because perhaps we grew up in the 60-80's, when there was no cable TV, internet or video games. Building models (or anything, really), while potentially difficult, was a viable interest with a lot of enthusiasm, simply because there were not as many alternatives for one's leisure time as there are now.

What kid today is going to want to pick up model building and master it when there's much more instant gratification to be had by sitting down in front of the TV with a copy of Far Cry 4 or Destiny? People are lazy by nature. I think R/C may have suffered less in this regard because there's a visceral thrill in actually controlling and driving the car, and it doesn't, in many cases, require a lot of paintstaking skill and planning to do, although that can certainly come later if there is interest.

There will always be people who get enjoyment and fulfillment in planning, creating and executing a difficult project, but with the wide availability of options today that people have for leisure activities, fewer and fewer are going to become builders. Unfortunately, I feel we're fated to move far out of the mainstream and into a niche, and I don't really see much that can be done to change it. Makes me sad, but hey, the times are a changin'...

ianc

MPWR
01-16-2015, 07:42 PM
The number of people building models, and the number of people contributing on modeling forums are two completely different things. We seem to forget that.

This forum enjoyed a screaming boom ten or so years ago. But it wasn't so much about a bunch of new people getting into the hobby, as a bunch of builders discovering and enjoying a new way in which they could share their hobby. Now perhaps there are other places to do this (I keep hearing about something called Facebook? But I would guess it too is on the verge of a die-out).

Web forums (and this one in particular) have struck me personally as a good sweet spot for modeling. This community hasn't sustained itself as well in the past five years as it did earlier. But I suspect that these thing ebb and flow.

I myself have contributed little in the past five years, and I regret that. Each of us have lives that sometimes allow building and participating, and sometimes not. But this community is only finished when all of us are each finished. I think that I am not yet finished. What about you?

cinqster
01-16-2015, 08:42 PM
Interesting thread and not sure if my contribution will help much, but I do agree with many of the points raised here.

Yep, for me I afraid it's all about lack of time these days. 10 years ago I didn't have an ongoing house build project, or a four year old to entertain!

I am positive though. I think the hobby may eventually be popular again and I wouldn't be surprised if youngsters get back into making kits. I have noticed kids getting bored with screens and computers, often longing for hand skill activities. Look at the rise in popularity of painting by numbers, loom bands, knitting and colouring in books (for adults allegedly!). Some of the best Xmas UK sellers this year were gifts that were kit based - for instance the cell phone photo projector in a box. Didn't get this myself! :(

Kits may become the next vinyl revolution...yay, (as the kids say! :)

nascar49
01-16-2015, 10:15 PM
Toy store in town that sells model kit sais that there is absolutely no regrowth into the hobby. Kids just want videogames. But I guess we are a lot of middle aged people that still do modeling and HAS been on the Internet sharing our work and making contact with fellow modelers. Was it just the charm of novelty when Internet boomed? Personaly I don't think so. Is it just life that came between, as for me back in -08?

/Joel

So, its a toy store that sells kits, yeah, they have no idea what they are talking about then, they probaly have their kits marked well up over MSRP, so its no wonder they are not seeing any, or they probably dont get updated stock, so again, not a trusted source to give a outlook on the hobby.

The only good forum left for automotive models is model cars magazine http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/

Um, no, that place is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to model forums

The number of people building models, and the number of people contributing on modeling forums are two completely different things. We seem to forget that.

I think that is what people are doing, just because people are not posting does not mean the hobby is dying, and no, the hobby is not dying, I see it getting better and better, there are so many little guys that are producing kits that none of the big companys will do, there more guys doing after market stuff, this is a great time to be in hobby for the most part.

And touching back on not posting on forums, I completed darn near 50 models for 2014, but I also slowed downed on posting, I found trying to do WIP threads for my builds just got in the way of the building, and would slow it down, so now, I just focus on the building. I still do WIP threads , but its only for a few subjects.

And its been mentioned, but socail media sites have taken a lot of users away from forums, I have notice over the years that all sorts of forums covering all different types of subjects have slowed down.

The model company's in America have not cared about the younger demographic, they only care about the 50 + in age builders, so the subjects they do are for them, that is not going to get kids interested in the hobby, and a majority of the builders in the US have attitudes and look down on anything that they dont like or is current, that probably puts a lot of young people off too.

The hobby is going through changes, just like it does all the time, but the hobby as whole is not going to die off in any of our life times, and if any of truly believe that, I have some land here I want to sell in the desert, it has a great view of the ocean

JTRACING
01-16-2015, 10:47 PM
Ya I think the hobby is fine, so many new kits are being released it's awesome,

I personally just really lost interest in posting stuff online the last few years, but will make an effort to start again this year.

I haven't slowed down any. And with the Micheals store down the street I have a closet full of kits all picked up with the 50% off coupons lol.

joelwideqvist
01-17-2015, 03:18 AM
I must stress that I'm not in any way talking about the death of scale modeling. I'm interested in the possible move from posting on web forum and where that energy went.

I guess I left AF on its peak when I, as many others, got kids and bought a house. When I returned there had been a change and during the last two years I've put som thoughts into why. You are really helping me understand :-)

cjsbosox
01-17-2015, 05:05 PM
What kid today is going to want to pick up model building and master it when there's much more instant gratification to be had by sitting down in front of the TV with a copy of Far Cry 4 or Destiny? People are lazy by nature.

Dont spill the means man! I play destiny :runaround:

Time and photograpy are keys. Photography in itself can become a hobby, which then takes time that can be spent building. When I got the bug I could not stop taking pics. Before posting I spent the last 30 mins arranging my flickr albums. If i wasn't packed for my move I would have built instead....or played Destiny :rofl:

CrateCruncher
01-18-2015, 02:34 PM
The problem isn't "kids today" or "people are getting old". Our hobby is healthier than ever. I've been president of our local IPMS club the last couple of years and we've seen our membership swell from about 25 to over 45 actives in that period. The reason guests join and become contributing members is because they feel a sense of worth in OUR organization.

I stopped posting WIPs on AF because there was just so much apathy toward me. It takes time and effort to take pics, upload to hosting sites, etc. Nobody even took 20 seconds to rate my last build thread. If you guys want the community back we need to start taking steps to encourage one.

Start with fixing this broken website that takes forever to update, drops posts, etc. I appreciate Alex for keeping AFMOTY going but I don't participate because I don't have a fancy camera or photography software. It would be more popular if builders could enter more than one photo. One photo is just a glamour shot of a paint job. I like to build detail and need 5-10 photos to show why I think my work should be considered. How much detail can you show in one picture? Who made this one photo rule and why does it exist?

Rebuilding the community requires us to change and be open to new ideas.
MPWR had a great idea years ago to have a contest for Best WIP of the Year. I thought that was a great idea because it would encourage more people to push the medium. Why haven't we seen more videos showing techniques in real time in our WIP's? Maybe if there were a contest people might try it?

Some of us also play computer games. Has anyone heard of Steam? They are working to improve participation in their community by giving out points for doing things like rating a game or posting a screenshot. At the end of the year the person can redeem the points for prizes and discounts. The idea is to have people explore doing new things that enhance content in the hope they will continue once they've gotten past the steep end of the learning curve.

Rebuilding AF will require everyone to do more. Over time the momentum will attract more people and it will be "the place to be" once again.

JTRACING
01-18-2015, 02:51 PM
I agree with the above post, the AF website will sometimes take 4 or 5 mins to open, I thought it was me maybe but it does it on any device and on my neighbors internet too

joelwideqvist
01-19-2015, 02:53 AM
It's not just AF (although I agree with it beeing slow to load) but I've seen the tendencies elswhere too.

A question for you that uses Facebook or Instagram to share your work, can you recommend some groups or hashtags to follow?

mike@af
01-19-2015, 07:39 AM
Start with fixing this broken website that takes forever to update, drops posts, etc.

Can you (and anybody else experiencing issues) please PM me with more details of what you are experiencing? We have been working on better user experience updates, and your feedback would be valuable.

-----

Back to the thread topic now. :smile:

joelwideqvist
01-20-2015, 04:52 PM
I stopped posting WIPs on AF because there was just so much apathy toward me. It takes time and effort to take pics, upload to hosting sites, etc. Nobody even took 20 seconds to rate my last build thread. If you guys want the community back we need to start taking steps to encourage one.

:sarcasmsign:
Even if OT I feel that I want to comment on this as I feel that the thread rating system is a quite funny subject. Looking at rated threads you mostly see five star ratings. I can't say I'm a five star builder but I do have three of the fifteen most viewed and commented threads in the bike section. Two are not rated and one is rated four as I did that myself to see if I could. Do people rate their own threads or what :cool:

mike@af
01-20-2015, 06:51 PM
Even if OT I feel that I want to comment on this as I feel that the thread rating system is a quite funny subject. Looking at rated threads you mostly see five star ratings. I can't say I'm a five star builder but I do have three of the fifteen most viewed and commented threads in the bike section. Two are not rated and one is rated four as I did that myself to see if I could. Do people rate their own threads or what :-)

To be honest, I rarely look at ratings. I look at the subject and the builder. If I like one or the other, I open the thread.

On the note of motives behind posting - for me, I like to post to just share my work and converse with others who have a similar passion/hobby. I don't care if my thread is rated 1 or 5000. Sharing is some of my enjoyment in building.

mrceej
01-20-2015, 08:19 PM
I've been modeling as far back as I can remember and am guilty of almost all that has been said. I've never stopped browsing and I'm glad that I stumbled upon this thread. I'm happy to see the guys (and gals?) I've admired over the years still here and putting their two cents in. I've been itching to just build something out of box and now you've all given me a little motivation to do so and post the results.

gionc
01-21-2015, 03:02 AM
I think that I am not yet finished. What about you?

Not finished yet too here :D

Forums like the quite old SRC (was this the name?) and following the AF helped me much to develop relationships, friendships and as last techniques and motivation: I step by step discovered and have been in touch and become friend of "virtual peoples" like you Andy or Sasa or Steve or Geronimo and few others that late I met in person and as friends around the world (around the europe for now...). Before to join forums I never tought about the chance to meet people sharing the same passion (also becouse my ita-english limitations). Yep me also has been far from AF (and other domestic forums also) in the last few years, but I have to say that la last few years was the one where I got my best satisfations in therm of prizes/medals and stuff: simply it is energy that come and go and we all are part/responsible of that energy.

I'm not finished and times will come back :D

english translation here > (http://italenglish_translator_for_dummies.com)

firun
01-21-2015, 04:37 AM
Guys, yeah there is definitely mumbo-jumbo about lack of interest in our hobby, because there are a lot of timekillers like mobile games and all this stuff. I totally don't understand people killing their time on games – come-on, there is no value creation in casual gaming!

I can understand people playing genuine story games (like GTA), but killing time blowing up candies or what a hell are they doing in these 'Lines'-alike games... It's just beyond my understanding because I love creating things.

Value creation is the major point of our hobby. We create things. From scratch or from snap-kit – it doesn't matter, because we are not collectors per se, we are creators.

The problem which I've stumbled with lately apart from 10-12 working hours/day is that I simply spend all my time on casting resin parts :) It's time consuming and profitable hobby. But I hope that my Tesla model will be built sooner or later.

lovegt40
01-21-2015, 05:19 AM
ehh sometimes also I cant resist to some games.
better to say: I cant resist any realistic game with something I like racing ONLY at the ring,mostly rfactor cause assetto corsa e iracing still dont have it...
I am sorry...but yes, it happens.. :)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-bwKu8cv4tLY/VLuOu5lxkuI/AAAAAAAAqbg/aBbJaHlgsAE/w951-h534-no/WP_20150114_016.jpg

firun
01-21-2015, 05:38 AM
Paolo, I'm playing too, but only when silicon or resin is curing up :)

And when building kits I'm listening to audio-books.

stryfe101
01-22-2015, 04:01 PM
wow..seeing some names in here I haven't seen a while...

good things said too...for me, well..I don't know... I really liked all the stuff that was being posted in the early 2000's so much great import stuff and it really challenged my building. Then I had a kid, and time got the better of me, I kept buying kits, and I'd start on one or 2 and get almost done then lose interest. My problem was too many kits, and each one had to be done a certain way, and then I felt like I needed to compete with people up here and elsewhere and, while it did push me to even better heights, I lost what was the thrill of building...plus, honestly, kit selection these days is crap..I got an email from tower the other day, "new revell t-bird" and I'm like what is this?, and it's the same old tired pro street kit I bought and parted out 20 years ago..

now? I went through a bad lego streak for the last 2 years, I also started building some scale tanks which are awesome, but I've sold about 60% of my model car kits and stuff and I plan on selling even more including all those awesome rare wheels I spent so damn much money on. I've got a few kits I really want to finish, but other than that...I'm done with it all, I still like coming to look at whats being built and stuff but, now i've got 2 little girls (one is 8 and the other is 8 months) and I just don't have that drive to build.

360spider
01-22-2015, 09:50 PM
This thread is gold. Thanks for all the input - great read and excellent insight to what really happening in the hobby. Its definitely not dead, it is just going through another one of the stages...through late 2010's hobby was at its peak, fueled by new techniques, new kits, and new tools/materials. Now its on a decline a bit, replaced by video games and social media.

Myself, well, injury slowed me down to a crawl. Work also take a lot more time now. I also picked up diecast collecting, and some models - made by CMC, Exoto, and Autoart are quite impressive.

joelwideqvist
01-23-2015, 12:56 AM
I lost what was the thrill of building...

Stryfe, I like your entire post but this sentence made me sitting in the couch last night with a lot of existential thoughts. I've been rather stressed when it comes to modeling last couple of years. I wanted it so bad but I found no satisfaction, atleast not as I did earlier. BUT, back then, I didn't have kids, I worked night shifts leaving entire days to modeling work. Both factors also let me have a totally different cash flow in materials and kits. We had a large house where I could dedicate an entire room for my stuff.

Now the gear is packed in boxes and cupboards, I get an hour here and there to pick it out and it's mostly trouble. But I want to. And I do a lot taking into account the life changing turns I've been through.

Yesterday I just might have found a key, that I lost the thrill. I just looked on the differences, but things will bever be the same, the meditative and casual thing with building kits hasn't changed a bit for me. Even if I do it for an hour a week it still plays an important part. Can't get frustrated over changes in life, just adapt.

Thanks Dr Phil :-)

tonioseven
01-23-2015, 09:25 AM
I'm in the process of getting rid of the kits that I've lost interest in and obtaining projects that I will definitely enjoy building. I'll build until my hands no longer work. :sunglasse

countach79
01-25-2015, 12:42 AM
Very good thread
I'm in the same boat as some blokes here, heavily into modeling then you get married, house and kids
Still always looking at AF but not so much leaving comments

Posting wips or even completed projects obviously slows down if your not getting the time to build as much or for as long ( I used to be able to have full day modeling sessions before wife kids house came along now it's around 2-3hrs a week )

One little thing to maybe boost the interaction on here ( and its only a small thing ) I've been doing lately is, when browsing the forum I used to really only look at subjects that immediately took my attention ie: I love ferrari's and lamborghini's and would really only comment on these subjects
But I started to have a look at some wip's and completed projects that don't immediately take my interest and found this very enjoyable, finding some stunning builds aswel

I've also started leaving comments on these subjects and therefore being a little more interactive and also giving more to the builder and hopefully that helps to encourage them to continue with there wip

It's only a small thing, but it's something

JeremyJon
01-25-2015, 06:59 AM
Lots of great information & comments here
IMO the two main holdbacks of this hobby to new interest, are first easy access to kits/materials, and second painting (spray specifically)
Kits are simply not as easy to find on the shelf, and affordably, as they once were, and that limits parents purchasing for their kids, much less kids purchasing for themselves
Spray painting of any kind is difficult to accommodate, and limits many potential builds, many from every being competed I'm sure
There is a lot of other sources in public media for scale hobby, so some forum activity suffers as a result, but that isn't necessarily an indicator of a dying hobby, just a shift in accessing like-minded enthusiasts :)

joelwideqvist
01-25-2015, 08:22 AM
There is a lot of other sources in public media for scale hobby

This is the thread topic so please tell me some, as I really like to catch up.

sky1911
01-25-2015, 09:51 AM
Lots of great information & comments here
IMO the two main holdbacks of this hobby to new interest, are first easy access to kits/materials, and second painting (spray specifically)
Kits are simply not as easy to find on the shelf, and affordably, as they once were, and that limits parents purchasing for their kids, much less kids purchasing for themselves
Sadly this is only too true. I have tried obtaining something as simple as Tamiya putty or even some CA or primer from the big T locally here. Even went to one of my old haunts of 20 years ago, that surprisingly is still around. They just don't cater this stuff anymore. What I found is loads of RC shops and the like, but actual scale model kits? Nope. I have to order online as there is NO! proper store within my town (120k people), the neighbouring town (300k people) or anywhere within a 100 km radius. And even outside that radius things aren't looking much better. I don't mind ordering online, from wherever (HK, JP...), but sometimes having a look at a kit prior to buying it might sway you one way or another - no can do today. To be honest, I'm surprised that the hobby still exists to this day and was glad to come across a few forums such as this.

Mr Plumb
01-26-2015, 06:15 AM
But sometimes having a look at a kit prior to buying it might sway you one way or another - no can do today.

This is one of the main reasons I do my unboxings on YouTube, unless you live in Japan/Hong Kong etc its never going to happen if your after kits by Fujimi and Aoshima for example

mrceej
01-27-2015, 05:54 PM
I went to my local hobby shop and thank goodness they still cater to pretty much all hobby aspects. I even saw that beemax/Aoshima rally Celica on the shelf but man it was like $56. I was stunned that some of the typical kits on the shelf were in the $30-$40 range. Even supplies were pretty pricey but I was still happy that it was all available locally. Most of the time I'm an impulse buyer and I'd honestly rather go to a store (even if it's 100 miles away and yes I used to do that A LOT) and browse while I get the supplies I need on the spot.

das_auto
02-07-2015, 09:50 AM
Hi guys!

I agree with what others have posted earlier. This is a very important thread and I have felt the same. Itīs a bit slower around here now then when I joined in 2008. Iīve thought about this a bit so itīs fun that this thread has come round.

I have`nt built many automotive models lately so Iīm part of the problem. This is mostly because of the nice armor and aircraft kits that have been released recently. In these areas I feel that modeling is thriving, with many new manufacturers releasing interesting kits that sell well.
If the production of good car and bike kits had been the same I probably wouldīve built more of them. In my opinion there are a number of areas that is part of the problem.

Licensing: WWII subjects can be made into kits without paying a lot of license fees. That makes them more attractive to kit manufacturers since more of the profits end up in their own pocket. This is not the case with cars and bikes. Both vehicle manufacturers and racecar sponsors ask for money if you want to use their intellectual property. Of course this has an effect on how many new kits that get released. I think this is why we see so few new “street” car kits and also why cars like the Porsche 997, BMW Z4 and McLaren MP 4-12C only are available in race car form. Often without race decals leaving guys like Studio27, Tabu Design and Shunko to sort that out. The licensing issues also have an effect on what kits get re-released. I read somewhere that a re-release of the Tamiya Ford focus and Escort WRC kits is pretty much impossible due to licensing.

Diecast: Diecast Cars have become scary good in recent years and for the price of a Tamiya kit you can get a professionally finished model ready for the shelf. Of course this will lure some modelers away from the hobby.

Press: Car modeling would in my opinion greatly benefit from more coverage in the modeling press or even a new decicated magzine. I only know of Scale Auto Modeler which has been around forever.
Armor and aircraft modeling have several very high quality magazines like AIR and AFV modeller. Showcasing the work of the best modelers in the world and inspiring others. ART of modeling is a new innovative european e-mag that I have high hopes for.

So, what should we do to encourage manufacturers to keep producing our beloved kits? I think of two things to start with.

Keep Buying I might get bashed for this, but I think that we might have to bite the bullet when it comes to the prices kit fetch. The prices of licensing mentioned above and also more complicated moulds and design cost money. Itīs a fact.

Show how you do it I think that we have to become better at sharing our techniques, helping newbies get better as itīs a great part of modeling, getting better with each model and improving. You all know the feeling.
Buying a Diecast can never give you that feeling of accomplishment. And I feel that is a real "selling point" for modeling.

To round off this WAY too long post I just want to take this opportunity to thank all you guys out there.
Iīve had so much fun on this forum since I joined. Iīve always felt welcome and I feel that thereīs always been a good vibe here and a positive attitude.

So,my friends. Keep up the good work and keep posting!

Best Regards!

Emil

SniperX13
02-12-2015, 10:51 AM
Hey guys! long time no see hehe... I am one of those who was here big time in the early 00's and then drifted off. I think in my opinion... is modeling has become highly cost prohibitive. I was big into cars for a while, posted a few here as well. I then moved on to armor for a while so I migrated to FSM for that but even then the interest has waned over the years. I recently got the bug to get back into modeling... so I headed over to my trusty hobby lobby to look at what they had, and materials I would need. To do it properly, the way I would find acceptable I was looking at over 100.00 in supplies and even as high as 300 if I wanted to get back into spraying my cars instead of brushing.

Modeling has become almost a rich mans hobby to start if your coming back in from nothing. Models are almost 2x, 3x more than they were when I was big into them, which I am sure is due to the decline of sales, low demand means high prices to pay for materials used.

Plus, we have moved onto to a generation that is used to getting things now... but also used to getting their monies worth for what they pay. I buy my kids or even myself a game for the Xbox1. I pay 40-50 dollars for it and get hours upon hours of use out of it. I pay 35-40 dollars for a Tamiya model.. spend a few days building it and then what? it sits around collecting dust on the case and I can look it, but it takes up space on a shelf, or eventually gets thrown into a box in the basement. A game can be resold once it has outlived its value.

I think the general overall attitude of people in general has shifted. Many kids and young adults no longer buy things to "keep and look at" so to speak. they buy things, use them, and move on to something newer and shinier.

The disposable generation.

lovegt40
02-12-2015, 11:49 AM
sniper I suspect compare videogaming to modelling is not correct.
True, with some money you fillfull hours and hours of playing with kids and family, but the same kids dont achieve any skill in doing anything than press fast or faster some colored buttons,and get used to the brutal violence so common today.
Todays kids are often unable to place a pin in the wall with an hammer.

The little tamiya build instead allows you to understand and maybe manage some hand techniques that you can save and use forever in your life.Often you also love to learn history or engeneering, and you have the opportunity to see for real, in your hands, the stuff that usually is just printed on magazines (or is a .jpeg on a pc)
How many of us are the "handy Manny" at home? I'm one of theme.

Also I like to play videogames, but the satisfaction I get from build up my models I could never get from ANY game I did.
...and you can always say: I did it! Now try you ..:)

thijs37
02-12-2015, 03:50 PM
For me the problem is two or three fold, First thing for me is that on-line shops have low or no stock! in their after market stuff most shops are 60/70% out of stock!
Second! Most articles on forums are of Multi media kits....Sorry but that's not within budget of most up and coming builders or young people (the future of this hobby!) I would rather see articles of people building a Tamiya/Hasegawa/Fujimi kit with just some PE and scratch building and producing models with MFH quality (which is more useful than any tutorial in my opinion!...and works as a challenge...Multi media kits are full of detail out of the box and not easily reproduced by most builders)
and one of my biggest problems is the Astronomical Shipping costs!! and the way people try to make more money out of certain F1 drivers like James Hunt, Gilles Villeneuve, Michael Schumacher and off course Ayrton Senna...Vultures!!

roymattblack
02-14-2015, 08:07 AM
I totally agree with the original post.

The forums seem to be very poorly served these days.
I posted a fair bit about my scratch built 1/8 D Type Jaguar some time back.
Almost zero response.

I do have to say this particular forum is one of the worst offenders in this regard and I very rarely even check here any more.

Roy.

das_auto
02-14-2015, 02:44 PM
Sorry you feel like that Roy. I'm sure that people on here don't keep quiet because they think your work is not good enough. Usually it takes a number posts before real interest for your subject is generated. The more you post, more and more people respond as they follow your build-process. Also, the more techniques you share and the more detailed you describe your build process the more interest will be generated among viewers.

If you want specific input from people reading the thread you could just ask for it, i'm sure people will respond.

I've tried to find your E-type build but it seems like you've deleted it.

Please, try to post some more work on here and give the forums a renewed chance to give feedback on your work. I'll keep a look out!

Best Regards!

Emil

Miklaren
02-15-2015, 08:08 PM
Lots of good points being made here, makes for some nice reading. I wanted to chip in and say that there are still youngish people interested in the hobby, even if we are a dying breed! I'm a 20 year old student who picked up modeling about 5 years ago, quit for a while once I went away to school, but now I've started up again.

I'm really glad a place like AF exists. There are clubs and groups out there for modeling but because I'm not settled down and living somewhere more permanently, I'd feel weird trying to join a club when I won't be in the area after a couple years. That makes this place like a giant club for me, where I can see other people's work, tutorials, and now I've just started posting some of my builds. They might not get a lot of attention because I'm still learning the ropes of this hobby and my finished work is a little rough, but I'm glad to have a place to call "home" while I start to gain some experience.

Hope this inspires some people to keep modeling and getting other people to start modeling; if anyone's got kids or friends who are artsy or crafty and like working with their hands, point them in the direction of model kits! My dad noticed it when I was younger and even though he never did much modelling he bought me my first couple kits and I've been hooked ever since!

And for what it's worth, I got my roommate to start modeling again, so there's another young guy. Build on, everyone!

Hemi Killer
02-15-2015, 08:56 PM
Brian's model cars and this forum are the reason I have been modeling the last 8 years. I have learned everything from the forums. I can't imagine them going extinct

modellmaker.
02-16-2015, 12:08 AM
Hi all,

I know there are a lot of people modeling in the world but not everyone is on a forum.
I'm sure there are also a lot of young people very busy with this hobby.
My son is 15 and modeling for about 7 years now, started out with a simple kit, now he's making really nice models.
But he's not on this forum he's on another forum showing his skills.

An old colleague of mine started modeling after switching to RC for a while.
Now he's back modeling again when he saw my models.

So I know they are out there, but are not here.
We just have to tell people what we do for a hobby, show them your models, tell about this forum and maybe then they show up.

joelwideqvist
02-16-2015, 07:32 AM
Starting to drift slightly off topic. Although interesting it's not a question about if people are still building or not but rather why it has been a dramatic decrease in forum participation :-)

Add your comment to this topic!