Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Suspension Problem?

wharvy1987
01-09-2015, 12:35 PM
So I have a problem I can't quite figure out. I've been searching this site, and other sites for possible solutions. So I have a Kia Spectra5 5-spd. When I down shift and let off the gas I have a knocking sound that happens consistent with the speed I'm going. Now if I hit the brakes, this does not occur. And it does not happen when I accelerate. It feels and sounds like it's coming from front left. Lugs are tight, newer CV axle, new ball joints, new break pads, caliper and axle nut are all tight. I haven't been able to get the car up in the air yet, but doing some of the research, I've been starting to suspect maybe a tranny mount or a worn bushing. It is almost like running over...only way I can describe it is pencils or something in the road with my left front. If anyone can help without me taking it to the shop, or atleast give me some things to look at, it would be greatly appreciated.

shorod
01-09-2015, 02:44 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Is it a single knock that you hear, or a series of knocks/tapping? If a single knock, then the transaxle or engine mount seems like a reasonable suspicion. If it's a series of taps, then I doubt it's a mount or bushing. What happens if you depress the clutch when it's making the noise, does the noise immediately stop?

Does the engine run and idle smoothly? Did the noise just start after the new brake pads were installed?

-Rod

wharvy1987
01-09-2015, 04:12 PM
It is a series of knocks that I hear. When I depress the clutch the knocking stops. It only happens if I accelerate and let off of the gas, or I downshift and don't give it any gas, giving the tranny/motor resistance. The car idles fine. I do believe that the knocking started a few days after the brakes were put on, I have checked to see if everything was tight, but it will be worth another look I guess.

wharvy1987
01-12-2015, 07:51 PM
Well, now I have a video. This is a new noise but assume it is the original getting worse. Or, maybe just a whole new problem.http://youtu.be/JRk5oY5ovDM

shorod
01-12-2015, 10:26 PM
At least on that video, that noise sounds pretty bad. It almost sounds like a catalytic converter with loose internals, but that would not be consistent with it going away when braking and not doing it when accelerating or revving the engine while in neutral.

Sounds like you'd better do a good inspection with the wheels off, making sure that the dust shields are not rubbing on the rotor and that the anti-rattle clips are correctly installed and haven't slid around rubbing against the rotor.

-Rod

wharvy1987
01-17-2015, 04:53 PM
Well, here's an update. Turns out it was a wheel bearing. I figured I'd post the solution considering when I was researching this problem, many people would post what's wrong and never follow up. So no help there. I've never heard a sound like this come from a wheel bearing, but I figure this might help someone out in the future! Thanks for the help!

shorod
01-18-2015, 10:09 AM
Wow, thanks for the follow up. Like you, I've never heard a noise like that due to a bad wheel bearing either.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!