Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

California problems, anyone with experience with low VOC 2K clear

Froride1
12-15-2014, 01:30 PM
I've got some Zero 2K clear and the hardener has done just that, gotten hard. Zero no longer ships to us so ordering it from him is out. I looked at Spot models and they also have the hardener and will ship to the US. The problem is cost, it'll cost almost 3x to ship than the cost of the hardener. I've been looking locally for hardener but CA has seen fit to protect me and the environment from 2K. No one can legally carry it in CA and out of state sources state very clearly they will not ship to CA. I have found the substitute which is low VOC (volatile organic compounds) 2K clear. What I can't figure out is if the low VOC hardener is compatible with regular 2K clear (Zero) or not. Also, anyone use the low VOC 2K clear? Is it as easy on decals as regular 2K clear. Funny thing is looking at the data sheets it looks like the low VOC stuff is as deadly as the regular stuff.

CFarias
12-31-2014, 09:04 PM
I'm sorry I can't give you advice on the low VOC system, but I would suggest that you go ahead and switch to it and discard the Zero paint system. The "low VOC" label does not guarantee that it is compatible with decals, but it is unlikely that it will attack the decals any different than regular 2K. Switching to 2K can be expensive owing to the volumes that have to be bought, but in the end it will be cheaper per ounce than Zero and you can probably recover your costs be selling small batches to your modeling friends.

Add your comment to this topic!