Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1991 chevy silverado k2500 big block no spark

iceman 45414
12-15-2014, 08:54 AM
i have a 1991 silverado k2500 with the 454 big-block in it as i was driving home yesterday getting on the high way the truck just died completely without warning i looked down because i smelled something like burning wires and there was allot of smoke coming from under the dash where the steering column is when i go to start it all it dose is crank and crank never fires up it has no spark at all ? please help thank you in advanced

j cAT
12-15-2014, 03:09 PM
i have a 1991 silverado k2500 with the 454 big-block in it as i was driving home yesterday getting on the high way the truck just died completely without warning i looked down because i smelled something like burning wires and there was allot of smoke coming from under the dash where the steering column is when i go to start it all it dose is crank and crank never fires up it has no spark at all ? please help thank you in advanced

the ignition switch and the wires to it from it may have chaffed thrugh the insulation. you must open the column up and see whats melted. then check the fuses .. I would check any after market crap installed ... but since this is quite old even the GM wiring gets damaged after this long. many times people slice into GM wiring with wires that are very small current capacity. then the fires begin..

Schurkey
12-16-2014, 11:10 PM
there was allot of smoke coming from under the dash where the steering column is
Start there.

thzpcs
12-17-2014, 06:39 PM
Yup. Ignition is toast

Schurkey
12-17-2014, 09:29 PM
Yup. Ignition is toast
You mean "Ignition switch..."?

Add your comment to this topic!