Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

rear control arms

tkswan
12-13-2014, 04:44 PM
2002 LS V8 204k miles. I need rear control arm bushings. Are they replaceable or do I have to buy the whole control arm?

tkswan
12-15-2014, 08:27 PM
Okay, I am replying to my own post. I just spent over a lot of money on two front upper control arms, front tie rod ends, and struts and shocks, including new strut mounts all around. As of late the steering wheel went of center, about 15 degrees in one trip. I took it back to learn that the rear right wheel was the cause. The bushings are gone, (still skeptical of why they didn't notice that when doing the shocks). The rear control arms are outrageous to replace. I found a site www.energysuspension.com. (http://www.energysuspension.com)

I need to measure the bushings and then order and replace them myself. The problem is taking it apart, measuring bushings and then waiting for the parts. I am looking for opinions on doing this because the bushings were not meant to be replaced. The specs say to replace the arm itself. Thoughts?

shorod
12-15-2014, 09:51 PM
Maybe you'll find someone that has a 2-piece bushing in the correct diameter so you can cut/press out the old bushing and then install a new bushing. Either that or you may need to get creative with injection molding RTV rubber.....

-Rod

tkswan
12-16-2014, 09:57 AM
Maybe you'll find someone that has a 2-piece bushing in the correct diameter so you can cut/press out the old bushing and then install a new bushing. Either that or you may need to get creative with injection molding RTV rubber.....

-Rod

I found www.energysuspension.com. (http://www.energysuspension.com) they want the dimensions and they will create the bushing for me. I should be able to get dimensions from somewhere without taking it apart and putting a ruler on it shouldn't I? Have you ever heard of that web site?

I just learned that www.energysuspension.com. (http://www.energysuspension.com) makes non rubber (polyurethane) replacement bushings. Polyurethane will cause lots of noise vs rubber bushings. So thats out.

shorod
12-16-2014, 12:50 PM
I've used Energy Suspension bushings before. Yeah, the poly bushings are a bit stiffer, but I'm not sure I'd classify it as "lots of noise", and they may be about your only affordable option.

You might want to check around on Jaguar enthusiast sites and maybe even Thunderbird enthusiast sites since the same platform was used for one Jag model (S-type?) and the newer Thunderbird. Maybe someone with one of those cars figured out a solution for the same issue.

-Rod

tkswan
12-18-2014, 03:37 PM
I've used Energy Suspension bushings before. Yeah, the poly bushings are a bit stiffer, but I'm not sure I'd classify it as "lots of noise", and they may be about your only affordable option.

You might want to check around on Jaguar enthusiast sites and maybe even Thunderbird enthusiast sites since the same platform was used for one Jag model (S-type?) and the newer Thunderbird. Maybe someone with one of those cars figured out a solution for the same issue.

-Rod

Hmmm, ok. So now i'm hearing/reading that the LS rear control arms provide a service when the car is turning, they allow the car to slightly "crab" when turning (like around quick winding streets) at posted + speeds, as well as an assist of the weight distribution of the whole suspension. There are no replacement bushings that will allow that crabbing to continue. Replacing them with aftermarket bushings will change the performance of the rear suspension. Ever heard that story?

shorod
12-18-2014, 09:12 PM
I've not heard that concept but I don't really doubt it. Those bushings always seemed a bit large. That size might be explained by the need for significant compliance to allow that "crab" function.

-Rod

shorod
12-22-2014, 04:52 PM
I sent you a Private Message with some information that may be of use.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!