Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

03 instrument cluster

tempfixit
12-06-2014, 05:59 PM
I need to replace my instrument cluster on a 03 LX, will I need to have the used cluster programmed so all work properly or will it just plug and play.
w/o message center and analog with digital odometer.

thanks

tempfixit
01-05-2015, 10:12 AM
I called local Ford dealers and it does need to be programmed for the vehicle to run, so dealer has to remove and replace.
Odometer reading will b e different than original. The cluster stores the info.
I believe having original repaired is the way to go.

Hope this helps someone.

scubacat
01-05-2015, 01:16 PM
Meh. I wouldn't trust the dealer. They love nothing more than to charge $125 for an hour of labor for "reprogramming".

Just curious - what's wrong with your instrument cluster?

tempfixit
01-05-2015, 06:29 PM
Meh. I wouldn't trust the dealer. They love nothing more than to charge $125 for an hour of labor for "reprogramming".

Just curious - what's wrong with your instrument cluster?

Gauges go crazy occasionally, also a buzzer will beep 5 times, pause then again beep 5 times, doing this a total of 5 times. (Possible code 55) The beeping has happened parked with engine idling, driving down the road. The check engine light, and airbag lights do not work since this began also.

scubacat
01-05-2015, 06:42 PM
Sorry if already asked but have you tried another alternator first?

tempfixit
01-05-2015, 07:26 PM
Sorry if already asked but have you tried another alternator first?

No I have not installed a different alternator. This has been happening for some time and vehicle has always started so I believe it is charging correctly. I will check charging voltage again. It was -8 degree this morning and started fine. have been reading other threads so I am getting some ideas to check out

The beeping is what annoys me the most.

thanks for ideas, keep them coming

scubacat
01-05-2015, 08:11 PM
In these and many fords, the voltage regular is built into the alternator. It'll bench test ok in terms of charging even when that starts to fail.

The wipers in our 2002 were not working sporadically. The battery tested ok at advance auto and came up around 12.4 volts. I replaced it anyway and sure enough, wipers have worked perfectly ever since.

If your battery is newer or tests at the full 12.6 or higher, then given how often the alternator causes "weird" electrical issues in these vans and how easy it is to access, I'd probably try another alternator anyway just to rule it out. Get it locally and return it if it's not the problem.

Either way, I'd try a lot of stuff before pulling the instrument cluster. I almost replaced a wiper motor for no reason; fortunately I saved myself that hassle and expense.

tempfixit
01-05-2015, 09:22 PM
I am not sure how old the battery is or if the alternator is original or not, I will check it all out when it warms up a little. Any idea about the buzzer beeping?

scubacat
01-06-2015, 12:51 AM
The 5 beeps indicates an airbag fault. It's extremely unlikely the airbag is bad; it's probably another symptom of your electrical issue. I'd still start with the battery, then alternator.

tempfixit
01-06-2015, 04:29 AM
The 5 beeps indicates an airbag fault. It's extremely unlikely the airbag is bad; it's probably another symptom of your electrical issue. I'd still start with the battery, then alternator.

OK, that makes sense as the airbag light has been on since I bought the vehicle. I do have a new clock spring just have not taken the time to install.

tempfixit
01-06-2015, 01:20 PM
tested battery and alternator with digital voltmeter (5 degrees F)

Battery w/o engine running. 12.38 V
Running fast idle. 14.98V
running fast idle under load 15.02V

scubacat
01-06-2015, 03:38 PM
I wouldn't want to suggest anything and have it turn out to be wrong, but for myself, if that battery were more than 3-4 years old, I'd replace it. I'm still wondering about that voltage regulator in the alternator as well. I'd TRY a new one (holding onto the original) just to see if it helps. It could very well be a problem with the instrument cluster as others have reported, but I always start with the basics/fundamentals first.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with an opinion!

pashakka
04-26-2015, 02:43 PM
I have the instrument cluster with message center. Message center recently stopped working and had problems with arrows.
I removed the instrument cluster, check all contacts - did not help.
Then I found where contact with the body for a minus. It is on the panel to the right of the front passenger footwell behind a plastic panel. All unscrewed from the body, cleaned and returned to his seat.
It helped! Try it.
//sorry for my english - it is google translator :)

Add your comment to this topic!