Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

92 k1500 with serious steering issues

hunter4ever12
11-27-2014, 02:56 PM
Well I have a serious steering issue that I can't figure out. It all started after I installed a new cv axle on the passenger side. After changing it I noticed there was excessive side to side movement of the passenger side wheel assembly. Tracked it down to a bad idler arm and replaced with a new one(cheapo off brand POS one). Still had the problem in fact it was worse. I checked the idler arm again and the new one I just put in was worse than the one I took out. So I ordered a quality moog idler arm installed yesterday. Also adjusted the steering gear box gear lash to eliminate a little play. But the problem still persists. The problem is the pickup wanders all over the road it will go left you correct it go straight for a split second then head to the right and repeat all over again and again and again. I have somewhat checked what I thought it might be pitman arm is ok. Wheel bearings seem to be ok, as well as ball joints. I am leaning towards the control arm bushings and the control arm ball joints. But I honestly don't know. Any ideas on what would cause this, and or any tests I need to do to help diagnose.

Schurkey
11-28-2014, 02:35 AM
EVERYTHING is suspect. Start at the steering wheel--have someone look at the steering gear. Can you turn the steering wheel without the steering gear turning? Rag joints are a common problem.

If you turn the steering gear input, does the output turn exactly as much? Loose steering gears are common.

Every joint from pitman arm through the tie rod ends is suspect.
All four ball joints are suspect
All rubber bushings are suspect
Both wheel bearings are suspect.

Blue Bowtie
11-29-2014, 08:23 AM
It may also be helpful to check the caster angle. At zero or slightly negative caster, even with a "perfect" front end, the vehicle will tend to wander all over.

That doesn't address any of the component looseness you discovered, but if there is nothing obviously worn or loose, an alignment check might be very revealing.

Schurkey
11-30-2014, 05:13 PM
Oooops. Forgot to mention that the tires are also worthy of inspection--air pressure, uneven wear, broken belts, cupping, balance, etc. Front tires are obvious, rear tires can cause problems too--depends on what's wrong with them.

For the record, too much toe will make a vehicle wander like crazy. Steering becomes very "darty" as well.

hunter4ever12
12-04-2014, 11:03 AM
Updated: So I just recently discovered that the front passenger tire has a pretty good amount of movement back and forth when you grab the tire on the top side and rock it back and forth. Also the left shock is "loose" by that I mean there is no pressure on it at all so the top where it mounts to the gram will rattle around. But those two this are only when the front end is on the ground. I tried to Jack it up to check, by the frame so there was no pressure on the wheel and also by the lower control arm so there was pressure on the wheel. When jacked up, either way, everything is tight, it's only when on the ground and under a "full load" things are loose. What could cause this I'm somewhat baffled.

Schurkey
12-04-2014, 12:07 PM
Updated: So I just recently discovered that the front passenger tire has a pretty good amount of movement back and forth when you grab the tire on the top side and rock it back and forth. Also the left shock is "loose" by that I mean there is no pressure on it at all so the top where it mounts to the gram will rattle around.
First Guess: Left shock is totalled. Probably means right-side shock is similarly wiped-out. Right upper ball joint or right upper control arm bushings are totalled--which probably means the left side is totalled, also.

hunter4ever12
02-14-2015, 01:14 PM
Shocks are both fine I checked them and they fairly new it's not shocks....So I replaced the ball joints all around last weekend and this is what I found. The new cv axle I installed on the passenger side a while back is to long, or I believe so anyway. With the tire up of the ground you try to turn it and it spins easily about half a turn then "binds up" you can tell it's the cv binding up, if you really muscle it it will turn but when you do it pushes the front of the wheel outward maybe half inch to an inch. I got the cv from o Reilly. Box says it measures 21 and a 16th long. Question is what is the correct length and where can I get one from besides o Reillys? I am pretty sure this is what's causing most of my steering issues, along with the bad upper ball joints, but those have been replaced. I have not drove it since I discovered this because I don't want to eat through another idler arm which is what will happen with the way the the front of the wheel goes outward everyday half turn.

j cAT
02-14-2015, 01:18 PM
Shocks are both fine I checked them and they fairly new it's not shocks....So I replaced the ball joints all around last weekend and this is what I found. The new cv axle I installed on the passenger side a while back is to long, or I believe so anyway. With the tire up of the ground you try to turn it and it spins easily about half a turn then "binds up" you can tell it's the cv binding up, if you really muscle it it will turn but when you do it pushes the front of the wheel outward maybe half inch to an inch. I got the cv from o Reilly. Box says it measures 21 and a 16th long. Question is what is the correct length and where can I get one from besides o Reillys? I am pretty sure this is what's causing most of my steering issues, along with the bad upper ball joints, but those have been replaced. I have not drove it since I discovered this because I don't want to eat through another idler arm which is what will happen with the way the the front of the wheel goes outward everyday half turn.

could be it popped out.

hunter4ever12
02-14-2015, 02:29 PM
So I replaced the ball joints all around last weekend and this is what I found. The new cv axle I installed on the passenger side a while back is to long, or I believe so anyway. With the tire up of the ground you try to turn it and it spins easily about half a turn then "binds up" you can tell it's the cv binding up, if you really muscle it it will turn but when you do it pushes the front of the wheel outward maybe half inch to an inch. I got the cv from o Reilly. Box says it measures 21 and a 16th long. Question is what is the correct length and where can I get one from besides o Reillys? I am pretty sure this is what's causing most of my steering issues, along with the bad upper ball joints, but those have been replaced. I have not drove it since I discovered this because I don't want to eat through another idler arm which is what will happen with the way the the front of the wheel goes outward everyday half turn.

Schurkey
02-14-2015, 02:32 PM
Pull the axle shaft, return it to your vendor, tell them you want a warranty replacement, and to verify the application/part number.

pprince72
03-20-2015, 02:58 AM
Well I have a serious steering issue that I can't figure out. It all started after I installed a new cv axle on the passenger side. After changing it I noticed there was excessive side to side movement of the passenger side wheel assembly. Tracked it down to a bad idler arm and replaced with a new one(cheapo off brand POS one). Still had the problem in fact it was worse. I checked the idler arm again and the new one I just put in was worse than the one I took out. So I ordered a quality moog idler arm installed yesterday. Also adjusted the steering gear box gear lash to eliminate a little play. But the problem still persists. The problem is the pickup wanders all over the road it will go left you correct it go straight for a split second then head to the right and repeat all over again and again and again. I have somewhat checked what I thought it might be pitman arm is ok. Wheel bearings seem to be ok, as well as ball joints. I am leaning towards the control arm bushings and the control arm ball joints. But I honestly don't know. Any ideas on what would cause this, and or any tests I need to do to help diagnose.

I'd take it to a Tires Plus or any place that does frontend alignment's and ask them to check it out if anything need to be fixed before they can do an alignment. If there is anything get a quote for fixing and it will give you all the info you need.

jzski01
06-06-2016, 09:26 PM

change the wheel hub. the bearings are probably shot

Add your comment to this topic!