Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Map installation

baldie1369
11-15-2014, 06:00 AM
2000 Ford Explorer , what do I need to know to change map sensor

baldie1369
11-15-2014, 06:07 AM
2000 Ford Explorer , I need to replace my map sensor according to code. Is there anything I should know before I start not just screw out and in?

shorod
11-15-2014, 09:43 AM
Yeah, a couple of things to know. First, which engine do you have? Second, understand that there are effectively no diagnostic codes that state a particular part is bad. Instead, they indicate a system that has a problem and/or a sensor that detected the problem.

You will probably be better served to share the engine that your Explorer has along with the code number that the truck is reporting. It's possible the real issue is as simple as a vacuum leak or collapsed PCV elbow, both of which would be much less expensive fixes than a new MAP sensor. Quite honestly, I'm not even sure your Explorer will have a MAP sensor. I'm pretty sure all the engines offered in 2000 Explorers use MAF sensors instead.

-Rod

baldie1369
11-15-2014, 11:01 AM
Thanks SHOROD ,
I guess I should have told the complete story.
2000 Ford Explorer 6 cylinder would not start
When temp got below 32 degrees, was told
IAT was bad, went to garage and was told
IAT and MAP was same. Had garage replace
Unit, did so and now check engine light comes
On, never did before. Did garage not install correctly?

shorod
11-16-2014, 11:42 AM
If they replaced the IAT, they replaced the MAF, not the MAP.

It's hard to say what is causing the Check Engine Light to be on now. You need to get the diagnostic codes read. If you do not have a means of reading the diagnostic codes yourself, many of the chain auto parts stores offer a service of reading the codes at no charge. You want to get the actual code number though, not just their interpretation of the code.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!