Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

replace distributor on 2001 v6. won't accelerate pass 2000rpm

vicfrontier01
11-09-2014, 07:35 PM
I just replace the distributor on 2001 v6 not sc. On park and neutral it will accelerate fine. But on drive it will go to 3000rpm normally but then it will go quickly and jump to 2000rpm and it stay there. I can go up to 55 mph but I have to press gas pedal down. A friend and I move the distributor multiple times and got the timing to 0 degrees but still does it. I need any suggestions of what it could be.

Cusser
10-15-2015, 02:13 PM
I just replace the distributor on 2001 v6 not sc. A friend and I move the distributor multiple times and got the timing to 0 degrees but still does it. I need any suggestions of what it could be.

I believe that you have the same VG33 V6 engine in that as in my daughter's 1998 Pathfinder. I replaced the distributor in hers back in April with an $82 from an online retailer, and set the timing to the factory 15 BTDC mark, where'd you find other information?

I'm guessing that you replaced the distributor for a reason, but you could've gotten its orientation off a gear or more, especially if you did not set the engine at TDC #1 before you removed the old distributor.

I assume that you have a timing light, and know how to use it.

Come clean....tell us the whole story...

Add your comment to this topic!