Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brake Fluid not stripping paint

AceCobra1
11-07-2014, 03:55 PM
Hi guys, not a question directly related to car modelling but basically, I bought a gunpla model kit a week ago. I am trying to strip off the existing paint on it. It came prepainted from the factory. I believe the paint is lacquer based. Thing is, there was 2 runners. I placed both runner parts in brake fluid for about 24 hours. One of the runners stripped cleanly with a toothbrush but the other isn't budging at all. Even using sandpaper requires a bit of effort to remove the paint. Any ideas what other methods I can use? The bleach is not stripping any of the paints either.

RonCla
11-07-2014, 05:14 PM
I've found that Tamiyas' "Plastic Friendly " lacquer Thinners has removed every paint I've thrown at it.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/paints-finishes-60/finishing-supplies-62000/lacquer-thinner-250ml-87077

AceCobra1
11-07-2014, 06:20 PM
Cool - I might pop round to the hardware shop 2morow to see if I can get some turpentine... Maybe that might help. Thanks

John18d
11-08-2014, 02:34 PM
Turpentine will not work on cured paints - get "lacquer thinner"

AceCobra1
11-09-2014, 04:29 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up attempting 1 small part which I dipped in cellulose thinner... It deformed the plastic slightly and has rendered it very soft. Any ideas how or if I can ever reharden that piece ?

RonCla
11-09-2014, 06:11 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up attempting 1 small part which I dipped in cellulose thinner... It deformed the plastic slightly and has rendered it very soft. Any ideas how or if I can ever reharden that piece ?

I would place the part in the sun and wait for the solvent to dry out and hopefully the part will eventually reharden.

Its always best to use any solvent on a piece of scrap sprue from the kit first to save your self grief

AceCobra1
11-09-2014, 06:49 AM
Yeah - I was pretty stupid of me as I wanted to try to strip the paints ASAP to make a start on the kit... But I will not be making the same mistake again! :) Hopefully it will reharden in a few days... If not, I guess I just need to order another kit and recast that part. Thanks!

John18d
11-09-2014, 07:46 AM
You don't dip plastic parts in "Lacquer Thinner" you apply it to a cloth and wipe it off - same goes for "Acetone". These are industrial solvents that "melt" plastic - if you want to dip things to remove paint you would use 90% or higher Propyl Alcohol or Dot 3 or Dot 4 Brake Fluid.
John

Add your comment to this topic!