Page updated on 11-18-2017

AFMOTY 2014 - Any interest?

360spider
11-05-2014, 08:42 PM
Gauging interest for AFMOTY this year - doing this early so folks who hasn't done anything this year can get off their butts and finish something. Let me know.

Alex

BVC500
11-05-2014, 10:05 PM
Its a nice yearly thing to do, and I'm willing to help. Plus, maybe I'll enter something...

gtziaf
11-06-2014, 09:06 AM
I participate as I do always and off course I can help if you need some kind of help.

George

tonioseven
11-06-2014, 12:03 PM
I've not been here for a while but I'm back. I'm interested. Moreso to help but I'll also enter something.

bigfrit
11-06-2014, 04:09 PM
Yes ! Would be a pity to let this one pass. Considering I have actually finished one...

Capri-Schorsch
11-07-2014, 06:30 AM
Of course i am interested.
But i have to finish something when i will enter it.
But let this not die,please.
Its the only online contest i know so far and its fun to watch all those entry's.

willimo
11-07-2014, 04:32 PM
Of course! Always excited for the AFMOTY! Things are settled enough for me to help with it this year (though I am unlikely to be able to spearhead it).

360spider
11-07-2014, 08:28 PM
OK, good, good.
Let this serve as a shove in the butt to all of us to get something done/finished this year. I need to check, but this year might be an anniversary, no?
I will need couple of helpers, and maybe a sponsor or two. Will post requests and needs closer to the date.
Keep the support up and go build something!

drunken monkey
11-08-2014, 03:14 AM
hmm, I think I might actually have something finished from this year...

tonioseven
11-08-2014, 02:53 PM
I can help.

denilsonvm
11-08-2014, 03:33 PM
I`m in!!!

GirchyGirchy
11-10-2014, 01:17 PM
I've almost finished building my paint booth, does that count?

ImolaEK
11-10-2014, 03:19 PM
Hmm, i should be able to enter something i've been working on! :D

drunken monkey
11-10-2014, 04:45 PM
I love that the old names are still showing up for this.

Kjenjak
11-11-2014, 04:51 AM
I have already seen some finished projects I would vote for this year.

eugene78
11-11-2014, 01:14 PM
I'd love to participate, but, sadly, I'm not going to get anything done this year. I can help with vote counting or whatever else is needed.

360spider
11-12-2014, 12:11 AM
Still plenty of time to start and finish.

jochen kieslich
11-14-2014, 04:21 AM
Hi Alex,
Dear all,
from my point of view AFMOTY is always a great pleasure and motivation. And also a kind of confirmation of being around with freaks, maniacs and a lot of talented and high-skill-builders!!!
So many nice miniatures, individual builds and enthusiastic projects over the year!!! Thus it is also a good recapitulation of a year.
As AF / automotive art is one of the most followed and respected global forum depending (kit-) modelling a participation in the contest is a great challenge, joy and honor! You get a good general survey of “what’s going on in the world of plastic modelling” (GLOBALLY!!)!
This event is an annual highlight for the whole community.
Really looking forward!!!
And a big THANKS for all the efforts!

Yours
jochen

360spider
11-14-2014, 09:10 PM
Good to hear Jochen.
Maybe I should also build something....

Kjenjak
11-18-2014, 03:05 AM
Good to hear Jochen.
Maybe I should also build something....

You should! Would be great to see you back in the business!

auw12
11-19-2014, 10:24 AM
Due to personal reasons I've suffered one hell of a busy year and haven't finished anything yet. But this is surely one thing that I'm not gonna miss out. Count me in Alex, since it's an anniversary thing it'll make a chance of doing something special? Would you set up for an organizing group and work thing out?

auw12
11-19-2014, 01:37 PM
Guys here's my proposal, it's now just a rough thought but I'd like to share: if we take this year's MOTY as an anniversary event why not do it a bit differently. We gather all the winner works from the last years and make a calender out of it, I mean a well designed and exquisitely made one which can be memorable and collectible for us AF members, then we sell them to who would like one and take the profits as the prize for this year's winner. Of course all those works have to be authorized by their authors. I've personally sponsored MOTY for like 3 years and one of which was under Steve's help, I always thought maybe we can do this a bit more participatory and good for everybody. I know it sounds difficult but this is a big forum with lots of talented people, it shouldn't be impossible. What do you think?

eugene78
11-20-2014, 09:39 PM
Great idea, but I see a problem with the word "profits"... Printing a high quality calendar can be expensive and postage costs can be quite high too, so I doubt it will be possible to sell enough calendars to make any profit. A quick poll may help estimate the number of potential buyers and the price they are willing to pay. Personally, I would buy one and I would be willing to pay 20-25 euros (with postage). A higher price would seem unaffordable at the moment. I also wish I could help with making the calendar, but I don't have enough design skills for that.

360spider
11-20-2014, 11:52 PM
Tang, great idea, but you know that besides you, I don't have anybody who actually is skilled enough to pull it off. I'm useless with publishing software.

auw12
11-21-2014, 06:17 AM
Great idea, but I see a problem with the word "profits"... Printing a high quality calendar can be expensive and postage costs can be quite high too, so I doubt it will be possible to sell enough calendars to make any profit. A quick poll may help estimate the number of potential buyers and the price they are willing to pay. Personally, I would buy one and I would be willing to pay 20-25 euros (with postage). A higher price would seem unaffordable at the moment. I also wish I could help with making the calendar, but I don't have enough design skills for that.

Trust me Eugene, it will cost a lot less than that if we keep them manufactured in China, I've done the calender thing before for the workplace, we'll make enough profits for the winners if we aquired enough demands, say 100 copies. We can simply do a limited run of just 100 copies to achieve the profits, each of them comes with a certification and unique number, we give no.1,2,3 to the winners of this year along with their prizes and sell the rest of them. I can take care of the artwork thing and the manufacturing process, but from what I can see now we still have some major problems.

1. If you're interested in such a souvenir or not. It will make no sense if we got like 10 orders.
2. It'll be tricky to collect all the MOTY winning works in high quality files.
3. If we do achieve 100 demands the trading and shipping process can be a problem, I can't do it on my own, we'll gonna need a functional network for that.

So we're definitely talking about a volunteers TEAM to sort this out. But think about it, it's a rare global cooperate opportunity and a meaningful thing to do, and if we succeed we may find a greater path for the great forum we love.

tonioseven
11-21-2014, 08:56 AM
I'll do what I can.

360spider
11-21-2014, 02:11 PM
-I'll be down for a few copies.
-I can provide hi-res pictures of my work (I believe I won the thing couple of times, or was it just a dream?)
-I can facilitate prior winners to submit their best pix of prior year winners.
-I can help ship the final products in USA
-I need to check if this year is actually an anniversary, or I'm just delusional.

Tang, do you want to set up a poll?
I think if we want to have 100% financial backing in this venture, we should take pre-paid orders, and only proceed with the whole deal if we have enough $$ to cover the production/distribution, etc. If by the cut off period the amount is not reached, refund the pre-payments.

Ideas?

Hawk312
11-22-2014, 07:18 PM
Im interested.

I also like the calendar idea. If it goes through, I will be ordering atleast 5 copies.

If needed, I still have "Elaenor" here in the display case, and would be willing to re-shoot her if high quality pics are needed. So you who are more recent winners, let that be motivation for you. You have no excuse. :D :)

jano11
11-23-2014, 05:04 AM
I would order one calendar.

stratos75
11-23-2014, 07:15 AM
+1 calendar for me.

auw12
11-23-2014, 01:12 PM
I've done a bit of searching and found it's actually the 13th MOTY, which makes it just enough for a calender. I'll make a demo to give people some ideas about what the calender will look like, as a poll to see how many of you want one.

Here're two problems to be solved, one of which is to have the calender properly printed we need a picture of your work at min. 1660*1103 pixels (200dpi). Here's a table I made to show what we've got, please correct me if I made any mistakes.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/auw12/Year.jpg

Secondy, do you want just the winner to be displayed or all top three? If we have just the winner's work that will give us neater layout and more comfortable visual effect, but less people were involved. If we make all three then we'll have to find more pics.

Winners would you please send me the pics of your work and if any of them were not hanging around recently I'm gonna ask your favour to help me with that. Much appreciated!:)

Hawk312
11-23-2014, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the effort you are putting into this auw12. I would like to see all three top winners, but I understand your comment about the layout not being as clean.
How soon do you need the pics?
Also, some of the winners I haven`t seen on the forum for quite a while. Will they be contacted via pm or email?

360spider
11-23-2014, 03:47 PM
My 250 Lusso didn't win it in 2005, RallyRider's entry did.

willimo
11-23-2014, 07:37 PM
We could always do that thing where the empty days of the month (you know, when the 1st is on Wed, and you have Sun-Tues blank) you can put the 2nd and 3rd place models there. Cleaner, though the pics would be a lot smaller.

+1 for a calendar, for sure!

jochen kieslich
11-26-2014, 03:23 PM
I absolutely appreciate this project!
I could provide some high resolution pics of my Ringkämpfer, no problem.
And, of course, count me in for one example!
Would be a very special and unique thing and would connect the community all around the world every day by just looking at the calender every day. A (printed) calender is one of the last useable analog things nowadays.........oldschool so to say....;-)
GREAT, please keep it up, my greatest respect to all of you for all your efforts and labor.
Yours
Jochen

PS: ......it's a bit annoying that there are no more comments......strange. Hundreds / thousands of "members" and no one else has to say at least something like THANKS or GREAT or I'M INTERESTED or whatever.....too bad.

eugene78
11-26-2014, 08:44 PM
I'm also surprised with how few replies the thread is getting. I hope there would still be enough people interested. If not, maybe we could do something smaller, like a poster or a commemorative booklet? Also, in case of booklet the number of pages wouldn't be limited to 12, so it would be easier to include more models.

Kjenjak
11-27-2014, 05:06 AM
I would definitely want one of the calendars.

I could help with the distribution inside Europe, just let me know!

360spider
11-27-2014, 04:12 PM
I'm also surprised with how few replies the thread is getting. I hope there would still be enough people interested.

Its normal. A lot of people tend to "want" everything, but when it comes to actually "doing" no one is around. Trust me, even if we had 100 members saying that they want this in this thread right now, when time would come to actually fork the money and buy this, a lot would disappear. Just the nature of the beast.

With deadlines rapidly approaching, I will post a poll. If we do not get a quorum by, say December 10th, we will abandon/change the project. I will still go ahead with the actual AFMOTY though.

MPWR
11-27-2014, 10:54 PM
If not, maybe we could do something smaller, like a poster or a commemorative booklet? Also, in case of booklet the number of pages wouldn't be limited to 12, so it would be easier to include more models.

I like it! Honestly I haven't been able to get excited about a calendar. But a poster or similar, that didnt have a date on it would have a lot more appeal for me.

rallymaster
11-28-2014, 09:40 AM
What about a poster/calendar ? I mean a square in the middle with the calendar part and all models around ?
that could be nice, advantages of each kind :)

lovegt40
11-30-2014, 03:13 PM
what if instead of a calendar we think at a small photo book with the pictures of all the mondel entering the contest during the years since its start? think, at the end, modellers want to see models....

jano11
11-30-2014, 03:53 PM
what if instead of a calendar we think at a small photo book with the pictures of all the mondel entering the contest during the years since its start? think, at the end, modellers want to see models....

I like the idea and I'll sign up for a copy as long as the pictures are full pages at least A4 size.

eugene78
11-30-2014, 04:25 PM
I don't think it would be possible to obtain full-resolution pictures from all the participants over the years. Besides, for full-page A4 printing the resolution would have to be really high -- something we can't expect from all pictures, even these days. Making a booklet with only 3 winners from each year would be more feasible, especially since the winners usually have good photographs.

jano11
11-30-2014, 05:35 PM
I don't think it would be possible to obtain full-resolution pictures from all the participants over the years. Besides, for full-page A4 printing the resolution would have to be really high -- something we can't expect from all pictures, even these days. Making a booklet with only 3 winners from each year would be more feasible, especially since the winners usually have good photographs.

That is true.
Maybe we can have the winners on full page and the other participants in smaller formats adapted to the available picture resolutions.

jano11
11-30-2014, 05:36 PM
We could make a PDF (or other publishing format) preview to see how it looks then have it printed in the highest resolution available. I'm in for a copy.

360spider
12-07-2014, 08:11 PM
Looks like not a lot of interest in the calendar. OK.
We'll just proceed with the contest as planned. Finish your kits!

chris24
12-08-2014, 06:57 AM
Allow everyone interested by "whatever they want" to download all the pics in hi-res and print the project himself (book, poster, calendar,...). You will get as many opinions as there are people interested by "something" :biggrin:

lovegt40
12-08-2014, 08:49 AM
true. a big downloadable PDF file with all pictures from all models...too nice really, and maybe not to hard and messy to do.

eugene78
12-08-2014, 07:09 PM
Personally, I don't think I would bother printing a PDF... Somehow it doesn't have the collectible value of a mass-printed item for me. :) Still, if someone would like to make it and to include the photos of my model that was in the top 3 a couple of years ago, I can provide hi-res images.

360spider
12-08-2014, 09:14 PM
Personally, I don't think I would bother printing a PDF... Somehow it doesn't have the collectible value of a mass-printed item for me. :) Still, if someone would like to make it and to include the photos of my model that was in the top 3 a couple of years ago, I can provide hi-res images.

Agree 100%.

KC27
12-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Hi all,

I only finished 1 this year. Can I enter it?

KC

eugene78
12-09-2014, 11:35 AM
One model is just enough, you can't have more than 1 entry anyway. :) The registration is not open yet, though.

360spider
12-20-2014, 11:06 AM
Everybody - you still have about 10 days to finish a model and post it here so it could be entered in the contest. Please do it. I want models of all kinds and all levels and all shapes and forms. Please DON'T think that your model is not good enough and use it as a reason not to enter - we want to see them all!
Lets make this the most successful AFMOTY ever!

eugene78
12-20-2014, 07:58 PM
What if I have a model finished a couple of years ago, but never published? Does it qualify?

360spider
12-21-2014, 11:57 AM
Well, technically it does not, because according to the rules you can start at any time, but you need to FINISH this year. But there is a loophole - if the FINISHED model has not been published in a WIP thread or as a gallery model here on AF at any point since you started building it, then again, technically its a model that has been shown to us only this year.

lovegt40
12-21-2014, 12:41 PM
allow him anyway Alex, we need models and he makes stunning ones.. ;)

Add your comment to this topic!