Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Bad Transmission Temperature Sensor……?

Warp50
10-31-2014, 10:41 AM
I have a 2001 6 cylinder F150 automatic with overdrive; the overdrive light started flashing awhile back when the shift lever knob came off due to a crack in the plastic. The truck has been running fine, no noticeable shifting problems. I ordered a replacement shift lever and installed it thinking that the old one may have shorted something. Light is still blinking. I took it to a transmission shop, they did a scan and took it for a test drive and agreed that it was running OK. They said that they got a code (I did not get the specific code) for a bad “Transmission Temperature Sensor” located in the pan, they would have to drop the pan to replace…..said it was reading way over normal temperature (8,850 F), but they also checked the dipstick while hot and said it did not feel overheated and there is no discoloration in the fluid. My question is this: Is there a “transmission temperature sensor” located in the pan? I have looked for such a part and cannot find one. Also they tried to erase the code and could not do it…said it was a “hard code”….Is there a difference between a “hard’ and “soft” code? Thanks in advance for any and all answers.

65comet
10-31-2014, 01:51 PM
I have the 98 V6 auto od which is in that series. Sorry, I don't know about that problem, but if you don't get a reply here, try this other F150 forum.
http://www.f150forum.com/f6/

Add your comment to this topic!