Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 century worried about freezing

shyann_62801
10-30-2014, 07:09 PM
They put all water in my radiator. Had flat tire and sat awhile til i found a tire.Was going to move the car so me and my sis put on tire well then the car would start.Found out from posting here it was my battery.So been looking for cheap battery to put in it and have to wait til payday nov. 1st. Any way I was wondering what I can do.It is suppose to freeze tomorrow and sat. If I drain the radiator but water will still be up in something right? My battery is side post. my sisters is top post.If I can drain radiator,plug it back and put antifreeze in it, How can I hook her battery up to my car -just to get it to start for a bit toget the antifreeze up threw other stuff it goes threw so it dont freeze. Help I dont know what to do!!

Tech II
10-30-2014, 07:29 PM
Jumper cables?

shyann_62801
10-30-2014, 07:52 PM
We tried jumper cable when it first would not start.The only thing it did was charge anough toget lights going.Battery total shot.Took it in autozone toget charge and they said its done for.

Tech II
10-31-2014, 06:55 PM
That's true......if a battery is so sulphated(dead), jumping it won't work....

But you just want your car to run until normal operating temp, so the thermostat opens, and coolant circulates through your car, so that block won't crack from the cold......

So park her car next to yours....

Have nothing on in either car, no key in the ignition....

disconnect the neg cable from the top post of her battery......

now disconnect both cables from your battery.....

attach one cable to her top positive post...attach other end to your red positive bat cable.....attach other cable to her top neg post....attach other end of cable to your black neg cable......start your car....her battery is now running your car .....just let the car run.......after the thermostat opens and closes several times(run your heater also), this should circulate enough coolant through the engine, radiator, and heater core......if you are not getting good heat from the heater core, you have an air pocket, and coolant may not be circulating......you will have "burp" the system to get rid of the air.....

shyann_62801
11-01-2014, 10:10 AM
Ok , thank you very much i will try that !

shyann_62801
11-06-2014, 07:29 PM
I want to Thank you very much!!! It worked! Thank You very much you save something freezing up and cracking.Thank you!! Got a battery yesterday started right up and sounds really good.I thank you again!!

Tech II
11-07-2014, 12:01 PM
pas de quois.....

Add your comment to this topic!