Page updated on 11-23-2017

Painting urethane clearcoat over lacquer basecoat?

kaspr
10-29-2014, 03:39 AM
Am I able to spray a urethane (2k) clear coat over a lacquer base coat from an aerosol can?

johnsontang
10-29-2014, 05:45 AM
why not?

racer93
10-29-2014, 09:10 AM
Am I able to spray a urethane (2k) clear coat over a lacquer base coat from an aerosol can?
Yup, should be no problem at all.

tonioseven
10-29-2014, 02:55 PM
Yes, it can be done.

da_ashman
10-29-2014, 07:23 PM
If you ask a Paintshop, they will tell you no. you shouldnt mix paint types.
I.e. you should use 2K primer, 2K colour & 2K clearcoat
However that for cars, driving around out in the weather taking abuse for decades.
For our miniture purposes, your sweet.! Ive done it heaps!!

nugundam93
11-03-2014, 01:40 PM
yes it is possible. i've recently done a resin kit where it was given a urethane primer and urethane silver basecoat, then a lacquer clear red coat, and finally a 2k urethane clearcoat. no bad paint reactions whatsoever.

CrateCruncher
11-04-2014, 11:12 AM
What kind of lacquer? What brand and formula 2k? They all use different ingredients.

2k is usually forgiving. I use my DuPont Chromaclear with Tamiya TS colors all the time. But the odd combination can lead to heartache and it can be a bear to strip auto grade 2k too. Your best bet is to always test the combination on scrap before you commit that 100 hour project to the airbrush. If decals are involved test those too. There's always a few leftovers on every sheet and can also alert you to brittle decals or weird reactions to solvents. You don't even have to dirty your airbrush, although spraying is best. For a quick check just mix a tiny portion of the paints and lay them down on a suitable surface with a toothpick. Lay down the primer, base, decal, decal solvent, and clearcoat just as you plan on the model with appropriate drying time in between. Because the paint is thicker than airbrushing it's a worst case example and should reveal any trouble.

Add your comment to this topic!