Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

88 chevy 2500 runs poorly (help)

jeffbrokeitagain
10-24-2014, 03:14 PM
ok this truck was running ok from what i was told then it died. they pushed it into a parking lot and called me to repair it. so first i checked for spark and fuel had no spark so i pulled the cap to see the dist was very rusty looking i cleaned it up a bit then changed the module and got spark but no fuel, after beatin my brains in for the next few hours checkin fuel press and tryin to figure out y i couldn't get the injectors to pulse i said screw it I'm returning this ing module for another one. well now the truck runs but won't rev up idles poorly and stalls after it warms up but idles kinda high and good if i pull the coolant temp sensor i have a code 42 flashing so I'm kinda thinking dist is faulty but heres the weird part this truck suposebly ran fine before but with a missing knock sensor so I'm tryin to figure out how the i can't remember what that sensor is called but the blue wire thats sopposed to connect to the knock sensor goes to the bottom nipple of the four pinned plug any way its soposed to control retard and advancement of the dist but like i said truck was running b 4 correctly as per my customer so can any one help?

j cAT
10-24-2014, 06:27 PM
the ICM with the rusty distributor sounds like this ran Like crap then died. now spark and does run but runs like crap. what about fuel condition ? fuel filter ? this vehicle is operated daily or ????? sounds like bad fuel . with what you stated I get this is fuel injected ? or TBI ? original motor or ????

Schurkey
10-24-2014, 07:17 PM
so first i checked for spark and fuel had no spark so i pulled the cap to see the dist was very rusty looking i cleaned it up a bit then changed the module and got spark but no fuel, after beatin my brains in for the next few hours checkin fuel press and tryin to figure out y i couldn't get the injectors to pulse i said screw it I'm returning this ing module for another one.

well now the truck runs but won't rev up idles poorly and stalls after it warms up but idles kinda high and good if i pull the coolant temp sensor i have a code 42 flashing so I'm kinda thinking dist is faulty but heres the weird part this truck suposebly ran fine before but with a missing knock sensor so I'm tryin to figure out how the i can't remember what that sensor is called but the blue wire thats sopposed to connect to the knock sensor goes to the bottom nipple of the four pinned plug any way its soposed to control retard and advancement of the dist but like i said truck was running b 4 correctly as per my customer so can any one help?
Two sentences? Really? You can do better than that.

First Guess: Poor signal from pickup coil. Used to be common. My own '88 K1500 needed a new distributor main shaft to fix this. The magnets in the pickup coil crack, the signal to the module is weak. Therefore both spark and fuel are intermittent. You could look at the magnets to see if they're visibly cracked.

Wouldn't hurt to have the knock sensor repaired, too.

I'm assuming that since you spent hours testing fuel pressure, that it's correct at 9--13 psi, and the filter isn't plugged?

Add your comment to this topic!