Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

growliing noise when decelerating from highway speed

beir
10-24-2014, 05:59 AM
I have a 98 and when slowing from high speed I. Hear a growing noise. I changed front hubs, rear wheel bearings, transfer case fluid to auto track and all u-joints. Any suggestions?

Tech II
10-24-2014, 09:06 AM
So only happens while braking? Have you checked the pads and rotors?

Narrow it down to front or rear?

beir
10-27-2014, 05:28 AM
Yes I changed front & rear brakes with new calipers on rear...thanx 4 your reply...noise isn't when braking just deceleration ...I'm thinking maybe road noise? Sounds like comming from rear but cant just place it exactly

beir
11-11-2014, 05:56 AM
Just updating ..I. was just wondering if the clutches in transfer case could be sticking? There is no binding when I turn wheels all the way either direction .. I changed to auto track fluid but noise still there when slowing from 65+..kinda sounds like comming from front the more I drive it & noticed a little vibration in floorboard on driver side..any ideas out there? Once I get below 60 sound goes away..wether brakeing or not

Chris Stewart
11-11-2014, 04:15 PM
You might check the lube levels in the differentials.

Sticking clutches in that transfer case gave a "bump" feel in the seat and floor every 50 ft. or so, on or off the throttle on the '98 I test drove a few years ago. I told them how to address it but being a used car dealer, I doubt they did anything about it.

beir
11-12-2014, 05:10 AM
Thanks Chris..I know rear differential is ok..I changed rear wheel bearings ..but haven't had a chance to check front...will try that...hope it is the fix...thanks again

Chris Stewart
11-12-2014, 04:36 PM
You might also check the exhaust system to be sure it doesn't come in contact with any body or chassis parts/ hangers with worn out bushings.

beir
11-13-2014, 05:30 AM
Thanx again Chris... exhaust is tight ..I noticed this morn on way 2 work noise seemed to come from left front..since I aleeady changed hub..I wonder if left axle bearing might be making noise..I've had truck since last april & with both hubs making noise never thought of changing axle bearings..( would've been easier while I had hubs out) sound like a possibility?

Chris Stewart
11-13-2014, 08:39 PM
You have constant velocity joints there also.
You might check that one for looseness, excessive play or wobble.
I have no real experience with them but have seen and heard shot CV joints.
They start clicking just before they bust.

beir
11-14-2014, 05:31 AM
Thats what I. Thought...I'm beginning to think this might be something I will have to live with..truck has just over 200k on it..might just be normal wear and tear..haven't had time to check front differential fluid (been turning cold up here) I have to take in for grease job anyway I'll have them check it while doing u-joints ..I'll keep ya posted on what develops ..doesn't seem to hurting truck...thanx for your input

Add your comment to this topic!