Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Cavalier Starter won't start

szqmillman
10-19-2014, 02:10 PM
Installed a new starter but my car still won't start. Please help!!

aleekat
10-19-2014, 03:54 PM
Gonna need alot more info than that.
Does it crank and no start?
Does not crank?
Why did you replace the starter in the first place?
You get the point.

thzpcs
11-13-2014, 11:38 PM
Not starting is a bit of a broad statement. Does it crank? Does it turn over at all? We need a bit more explanation

Tech II
11-14-2014, 10:28 PM
Agree with the guys....does the vehicle crank and not start, or it doesn't crank at all?

I asume it doesn't crank at all, and that is why you changed the starter....but it still doesn't crank?

Then I think you have a Theft Deterrent problem.....

Also, Check the purple wire going to the starter solenoid....it should be hot(use a test light), with the key in the crank position.....if it isn't, Also check the circuit from the relay set up that should be mounted somewhere near your radiator support(this was part of a campaign for your car).....feel the relay to feel if it clicks when the key is turned to crank position....

Jmrec100
11-16-2014, 10:39 AM
Agree. Need more info. Before just changing out parts, have it tested. Sadly still could have a bad starter IF the old one was indeed bad. Did you have the old one tested before you replaced it? Bad cables from battery to starter. Fuse. Relay. Ignition switch can all be culprits. And that anti deterrent can also be a possibility. Any engine light or anything? Read the codes?
If just change parts, may fix the problem but at a high cost.
Post what you find. We are ALL here to help and learn too.

Add your comment to this topic!