Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

05 GA - bad fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator?

iowabucks
10-17-2014, 08:14 PM
I have an 05 Grand Am, 3.4L V6 with 120k miles. Cranks over for awhile before it even wants to fire. Then fires a cylinder here and there until it takes off albeit rough at first. Might take between 5 and 10 seconds before it's running. Driveability has rapidly decreased in the last week. The last day or two it has been loading up at idle with a stumble when I step on the gas. But just last week I got 28mpg on my last tank of gas (same as always). Always has run good before this started a few weeks ago.

I changed the fuel filter last year, air filter and spark plugs today. Fuel pressure gauge reads about 60lbs with key on but drops to 0 within 30 seconds. Cranks over with 60lbs and idles at about 54lbs of pressure. I was thinking it was maybe a fuel pump until I took the vacuum hose off the fuel pressure regulator and found some gas in the line. That means the regulators diaphragm is shot.

If anybody has worked on these Grand Ams or similar with the 3.4l motor, I would love to hear if you think I have the right diagnosis.

Thx. Jerry.

Tech II
10-17-2014, 09:34 PM
Well, obviously, If you see fuel in the vac line, the diaphram is leaking, and should be replaced.......see this happen more on 3.8's than 3.4's, but it does happen...

Add your comment to this topic!