Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

electrical power problem

George1
10-08-2014, 11:18 AM
Good morning. I have a 1989 F-250 with 90,000 miles. Fixed steering wheel. When I first start up all lights in and out, radio, heater, wipers, etc. work. When I shift into park everything stops. Dash gauges do work always. Orange "Rear Antilock" warning light is on. If I shut down, and restart nothing works. So, everything works on initial startup, but not on later startups. No problem restarting and a good charge is showing. If I start it the next morning, all is well until I put it into gear. Ideas? If I find a solution, I will post it. Thanks.

65comet
10-08-2014, 12:13 PM
I have heard of the wire ribbon that comes down the column will get a break in it. Or the connector for it under the dash comes loose or corroded. You may need to do continuity tests on the wires from one end to the other. It could also be the key switch itself and there are some relays in the circuit that can start to go bad. A relay switches over power from one set of wires through it to a different set of wires when it receives power. When it goes bad it can either not do the initial switch or it could switch but not unswitch again when the power is removed. Lots of "could be's" in electrical problems.

George1
10-08-2014, 05:22 PM
I put a new switch in, thanks for the suggestion, and that cleared up most of the problem. Got lights, in and out, radio but no heater. If I jiggle the switch, the radio goes off and comes back on, heater still off. Better than nothing. Are there contact points in the switch housing that need to be or can be cleaned? So I am thinking that I maybe did not need a new switch but just needed to clean the housing. Does this make sense? What would work to do the cleaning? One of those toothbrush like wire brushes?

Add your comment to this topic!