Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Canbus system

highjumper1956
10-05-2014, 10:14 AM
i own a 2012 Jeep Wrangler and I am interested in installing some aftermarket lights on the bumper. Several people have told that my Jeep has a canbus electrical system, which I know nothing about. I am thinking I can purchase an auxiliary fuse box and hook the hot wire directly to the battery so I would bypass the canbus system! Is this a proper way to do this, or if anybody has a better idea, I would definitely be interested in listening! Thanks,

Scotty89
11-07-2014, 11:14 PM
The CAN bus system is the communication system the vehicle uses to communicate from module to module. There are like 4 possible different CAN bus systems on a Chrysler vehicle. CAN C, CAN B, CAN IHS, and Diag CAN C are the ones I can think of off hand. The easiest way to hook aftermarket lights up are just like you said, hook a wire to the battery, ground and use a switch and a fuse, and it should work. For some reason the engineers think it is a good idea to run everything through a module, even the lights and something as simple as the horn. If you are not careful then you can take the driver out of the controlling module and then you will have to replace the module. Just as a FYI anymore just be careful when you try to hook up aftermarket parts to factory systems.

DeltaP
11-08-2014, 09:58 AM
I would consider adding a relay to that circuit idea so you dont run so much amperage up into the cab, to the switch.
Mfg's run everything through a module so the system can monitor the total voltage demand through the ecm. The ecm will in turn control the charging rate of the alternator.

Add your comment to this topic!