Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Repairing a leaking power steering line

guitarfish
09-28-2014, 07:09 PM
I have a leak under my '08 Prix. It's under the car, all the way back practically by the firewall. There's a crossmember there from the engine cradle, and several fluid lines just above it. Once is rusted and there is fluid dripping from it. At first I thought it was transmission fluid, but based on the smell and also that my PS fluid was so low it wasn't even on the dipstick, I'm pretty sure it's PS fluid.

SO - is it possible to cut some of the rusted line out and repair it with rubber hose & clamps? This line looks like it would be a major repair, not something I could do in my garage.

Tech II
09-28-2014, 07:47 PM
Just because it looks rusty doesn't mean it's leaking there...it could be collecting there.......

I would top off the PS fluid...then get a can of Brake Klean and wash down your lines, and wipe dry.......start the car and have someone turn the steering wheel side to side while looking for the leak.....I have seen the fitting coming out of the bottom of the PS pump(pressure line) leak .......if it is, it's a nightmare....it drips out of the fitting and follows the line and collects on the line and cross member...

guitarfish
09-28-2014, 08:11 PM
OK, thanks for this. I've since learned these lines should be replaced as opposed to "repaired". Off to figure this out...

Tech II
09-30-2014, 08:36 AM
To replace these lines, you have to drop the cradle.....not easy......

guitarfish
09-30-2014, 08:41 AM
To replace these lines, you have to drop the cradle.....not easy......

Really? The GM Service Manual for my car doesn't say this. It says raise the car, remove the wheel, and the serp belt, then have at it. The shop manual isn't always very detailed, but they usually get all the big stuff.

Stealthee
09-30-2014, 08:07 PM
I had a mystery leak for a while on my car. Turned out to be one of the lines from the bottom of the power steering reservoir. I replaced the suspect clamp and haven't had an issue since.

Tech II
10-01-2014, 07:26 AM
That's why I said, you have to pinpoint where the leak actually is, to assess your options....

zepol
10-06-2014, 01:58 PM
Really? The GM Service Manual for my car doesn't say this. It says raise the car, remove the wheel, and the serp belt, then have at it. The shop manual isn't always very detailed, but they usually get all the big stuff.

I had to drop the sub frame in order to replace my power steering lines on a 2001 GTP. I also needed a crows foot to take off the line from the rack and pinion. http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1082703

Firstymer
07-18-2015, 02:00 AM
My 00' GP SE was leaking power steering fluid as well. I was patience and just followed the leak. I discovered the leak was caused excessive wear from the line rubbing against the oil pan at the bottom. Due to the nature of my moving situation I didn't had time to replace so I simply use some QuickSteel on the hole and it worked perfectly!

Add your comment to this topic!