Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I need help repainting side mirror

IHaveSomeQuestions
09-25-2014, 11:35 AM
I bought this for my Toyota

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191149956998

It looks pretty smooth black but I need to color it so I got the Antique Sage Pearl 1B2 Dupli Color.

I was wondering should I sand the smooth surface of the side mirror before I primer it, then spray color on it, then clear coat? Some people say I should sand, while other people say I don't have to. I also called that company and they said I don't need a primer and I can just paint.

I got 600 grit sand paper
Dupli Color clear coat
Brite Touch Primer general purpose
Dupli Color Perfect Match Sage Pearl

Someone guide me through it or something. I also tried spray painting a piece of index paper, but the color looks a bit different than my car. I also notice that the paint seems to drip down fast. Will be hard.

Overall, I need clear, exact instructions on what to do. I've been putting this off for a long time. Help me!

Brian R.
09-25-2014, 11:40 AM
Not a paint expert, but when I've replaced a Camry mirror, I've purchased the pre-painted mirror through my body shop. Such things exist. Matches my paint perfectly.

IHaveSomeQuestions
09-25-2014, 11:46 AM
Not a paint expert, but when I've replaced a Camry mirror, I've purchased the pre-painted mirror through my body shop. Such things exist. Matches my paint perfectly.

How much did it cost you?

I'm doing this because some jerk bashed my side mirror during the night several months back. Thankfully most of it remains intact so I replaced the glass so I can drive. Because of confusing instructions I've yet to paint my mirror.

I tried doing this to learn to paint but also save money. I went to my mechanic and asked and he said he can order it for like $170 and he'll install it for another $50. Then I went on ebay and saw this for $20 and got the other stuff for like $25 more. I figure that would be a lot cheaper. I can't return the stuff anymore either, it's been awhile. I'm going to try to install the side mirror myself. The U.S. model requires me to open up the side of the door, bit of a hassle but sounds do-able.

I did go to the body shop and they gave me a quick estimate of $50.

I don't know, what do you think I should do?

I'm a complete newbie at this and technical complications really stresses me out.

EDIT

I also read that they'll have a hard time matching the paint from the bottle because paint on a used car changes from its original color as well. Thoughts?

Mike Gerber
09-25-2014, 01:24 PM
I'm no paint expert either, but I have seen a body shop paint things like this. They usually just use a scuffing pad to give the surface some texture for the paint to grab on to, then wipe it clean with lacquer thinner. Then they spray it. They of course use a spray gun and you will probably be using spray cans. The only additional advice I can give you is to use several light coats and keep the can moving. You will have to use the clear coat on top of the base coat.

As far as how to install the mirror, I checked your profile and it doesn't say what year car you have. On my 94 there is a black triangular piece on the inside of the door that just pops off, exposing the 3 bolts that hold the mirror on and an electrical connector. No need to take the whole door panel off.

Good luck.

Mike

IHaveSomeQuestions
09-25-2014, 01:38 PM
On my 94 there is a black triangular piece on the inside of the door that just pops off, exposing the 3 bolts that hold the mirror on and an electrical connector. No need to take the whole door panel offUnfortunately, I wish this was true but I found out after buying the Japanese model by mistake that the Japanese version is as you described but the American version requires you to take off the door panel and go inside. I have no idea the logic behind this as it adds tons of extra work just to install a new side mirror. EDIT. Forgot, I have a camry 2000.

Do I need a primer? If not, how come?

I'm totally new to this. Someone even brought up Adhesion Promoter.

So far this is what I'm going to do, can I get a thumbs up or extra details if I miss any:

1. Scuff the surface with my sand paper, which I just found out I have no idea where it is.

2. Clean it, I'm going to use alcohol.

3. Spray with paint, wait 15 mins. Spray again. Wait a bit. Spray again maybe.

4. Let it dry for an hour or so.

5. Clear coat. Same wait period as paint

6. Install.

Thoughts?

Brian R.
09-25-2014, 02:51 PM
How much did it cost you?

http://www.revemoto.com/categories/new-auto-parts/side-view-mirror/toyota/camry/

Add your comment to this topic!