Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need help from 1997 F-150 owners regarding recalls.

harkauto
09-23-2014, 09:52 AM
I'm looking for a used F-150 standard cab pickup and I came across a couple of gorgeous looking '97's that have obviously been very well taken care of. One has 64,000 miles on it and the other slightly over 100,000, not a speck of rust and beautiful inside and out and under the hood. Both have small block V-8's and automatic transmissions and rear wheel drive long boxes.

I was seriously considering these trucks until I stumbled across the recall history on all the years of F-150 trucks and discovered "HOLY SMOKES!, the 1997 year had a whopping 27 recalls and some of the recalls were for some serious stuff. For example, certain electrical components that could cause fires inside the cab, inferior fuel tank straps that were found to be not rust resistant which culminated in fuel tanks actually coming loose and dropping to the pavement and dragging on the highway, steering column links that come loose from the steering box leaving the truck uncontrollable, etc. etc. a lot of fun stuff like that.

The years 95 and 96 had only four recalls by comparison, and for very minor issues. None this dangerous.

I love the looks of these two trucks and I could use the recall history as ammunition for negotiating down the price, but 27 recalls just scares me to death and I wonder would I be buying something that would only drain my bank account. But then I think that surely there are people out there that have 97's and loved them and surely these recalls did not pertain to all of the 97 F-150's.

Is there a way by using the VIN numbers to see what if any of these recalls affected these trucks?

Or should I just walk or run away?

Are there any 97 owners out there that could advise me on this.

I look forward to your input.

65comet
09-24-2014, 07:59 AM
You can go to the Ford website and plug in the VIN to find out if any of the recalls had not been taken care of yet. My '98 F-150 that I got this spring has been great except for a few minor items. I plugged in the VIN and it said the recalls had all been performed. The recall for the cruise control brake release switch at the master cylinder had been done, but not in what I felt was the correct way. It was supposed to be an added safety feature to release the cruise if the contact switch on the brake pedal ever failed. This pressure switch at the master cylinder was to turn off the cruise when there was pressure in the fluid. But those switches would leak and cause a short in their wires and then a fire. Their solution was to put in a fused jumper to blow when the short occurred. But they didn't replace the actual switch. So when it fails, the fuses blow and your cruise no longer works. When you buy one of the new switches, because they will NOT leak, the jumper is no longer needed. The rear spring shackles are junk, so if you have the originals, you better replace them. I have the V6, and the rest of my issues that I fixed were motor related.

harkauto
09-24-2014, 12:57 PM
You can go to the Ford website and plug in the VIN to find out if any of the recalls had not been taken care of yet. My '98 F-150 that I got this spring has been great except for a few minor items. I plugged in the VIN and it said the recalls had all been performed. The recall for the cruise control brake release switch at the master cylinder had been done, but not in what I felt was the correct way. It was supposed to be an added safety feature to release the cruise if the contact switch on the brake pedal ever failed. This pressure switch at the master cylinder was to turn off the cruise when there was pressure in the fluid. But those switches would leak and cause a short in their wires and then a fire. Their solution was to put in a fused jumper to blow when the short occurred. But they didn't replace the actual switch. So when it fails, the fuses blow and your cruise no longer works. When you buy one of the new switches, because they will NOT leak, the jumper is no longer needed. The rear spring shackles are junk, so if you have the originals, you better replace them. I have the V6, and the rest of my issues that I fixed were motor related.

Hey 65 Comet! Thanks for the advice. You have been very helpful..

Rasp
09-25-2014, 08:22 PM
I have a 97 f150 and the only recall that I have ever had done was for the cruise control. I did have to change the straps on my truck because they were rusted out but I did that myself.

I guess I should check out that Ford website and check the Vin on my truck.

But I will say this about my 97 ford. It is a damn good truck. Doesn't look pretty anymore but that's ok, just adds character.

I have never had very many problems with it. Other than routine brakes and oil changes I keep on truckin.

harkauto
09-25-2014, 10:55 PM
Thanks for your responses.
I guess I should not completely write off the 97 based on the number of recalls. I just need to be darn sure to check it out thoroughly.
Maybe I can use the number of recalls to my favor when debating the price.

Harkauto

Add your comment to this topic!