Page updated on 11-19-2017

First build ..cpl of questions

ferrariscale
09-21-2014, 01:57 AM
Hey fellas. Well I've just picked up a Tamiya 1:12 scale Ferrari 312 T4 off ebay at a good price. I'm very much looking forward to getting started but as this will be my first 'official' build I will need some newbie help along the way. Probably not a great choice of model to get into off the bat, but i do prefer the larger models and intend to get this right.

1st Question: Before you start assembling the axle assembly etc do you need to paint the individual parts first (prime) or can you build the section and then prime/tape/paint?
I mean..does the liquid cement (Tamiya thin/ Testors) still bond the painted parts?

2nd Question: Is it better to brush the paint on the smaller parts or spray? Acrylic or Enamel?

Can't wait to get started..And post pics and updates.

Cheers. Brett

bmwh548
09-21-2014, 09:42 AM
The cement dissolves paint so it doesn't really matter if the parts are already painted. General tip: study the assembly instructions so that you can see where the parts go and if you have easy access to the parts after assembly. If you don't, you should probably paint before gluing them together, that way even the the glue slightly damages the paint all you have to do is a touch-up with a brush.
Acrylic dries faster, enamel takes longer to dry but that way it usually levels better so you don't have brush marks on the parts. If you'll be airbrushing the parts it doesn't really really matter what you choose (some acrylics have a tendency to clog the nozzle, but that's pretty rare if you use good quality paint).

ferrariscale
09-21-2014, 11:56 PM
Ah ok. Thanx bmw. So with the smaller parts is it better to spray prime then use the fine brush and paint the fiddly sections or tape then spray those sections? I have ordered 6 10ml TS acrylics to get started but have a better hand with the spray then the brush. I'm assuming spray is better finish, but those sections (axle/brakes/pedals) it would be harder to tell?

kcirick
09-22-2014, 12:10 AM
Hi Brett,

As mentioned above, the cement dissolves the plastic/paint, so sometimes if you try to cement painted parts together the part where the plastic fused together may not look very clean. Also, sometimes if you cement before you paint, it may create an area that's not easily paintable. Conversely it might be easier to cement (and putty the part lines) before you paint to get more uniformity. It totally depends case by case though.

I've never done a 1/12 scale before, but for 1/24 scale, it's easier to paint the small parts individually. I would use brush since it's pretty minor/small, and because masking can be a pain. I use spray can /airbrush for larger surfaces and places where it's mostly visible.

In general, I would tape the major components together to get an overall picture. This serves several purposes, but in terms of painting, you'll be able to see what parts needs to be painted before cemented (and in which order it should be painted) or what parts can be brush-painted vs spray-painted.

Good luck with your build, and I look forward to your posts!
~Rick

nugundam93
09-22-2014, 12:08 PM
1st Question: Before you start assembling the axle assembly etc do you need to paint the individual parts first (prime) or can you build the section and then prime/tape/paint?
I mean..does the liquid cement (Tamiya thin/ Testors) still bond the painted parts?

2nd Question: Is it better to brush the paint on the smaller parts or spray? Acrylic or Enamel?

1. I usually spray the parts while still attached to the runners. detail painting (and covering up unpainted portions left when the parts are removed) happen during assembly. liquid cement would still bond the painted parts. plated parts are a different matter though - the manual would even say that you have to scrape off the plating on parts to be bonded.

2. for large parts, i go for spraycans. sometimes AB for large parts if i want to. small parts, usually brush paint. i prefer acrylic as it wears better. i've found that enamel sort of rubs off easily, though this was because i used to use enamels on gundam models that get handled a lot. car models aren't handled as much but still.

GTRfan01
09-28-2014, 01:19 AM
paint first, then glue. and yes, the glue will melt the paint but its much stronger if you scrape the paint off the parts to be glued. As if you just put glue on the paint, it will have the strength of paint, not plastic ;)

Add your comment to this topic!