Page updated on 11-21-2017

paint strip issue

Seamus McRae
09-19-2014, 07:08 PM
Hi all

Reading gtrfan's post about his dilemma whether to strip or sand the cracked clear coat on his model prompted my own thought process about an issue I have with one of my models.

Some time ago I made a start on cross kitting Tamiya's Evo V/VI rally cars to do Tommi's '99 Monte car. Two problems manifested themselves.
1 the ST27 decals are all crap - well the instructions actually. If you follow them, your decals will be in the wrong places - especially the M......o ones. This can now be fixed with Shunko's release.
2 I sprayed the body using enamel spray cans & this is where my main issue lies. After clear coating, either the white wasn't stable or the clear because the white parts of the body yellowed.
Does anyone know what will strip enamel off the body without damaging the plastic?

TIA everyone

griffin-gt40
09-19-2014, 07:24 PM
This topic has come up multiple times, and everyone has their own favourite way to strip paint, alcohol, brake fluid and for me, I use and highly recommend
Castrol Super Clean (CSC) which I think now is just called Super Clean. I get mine at Walmart here in Canada, not sure where you can get it in your country but a 4L jug here is about $20 CDN, and often on sale for about $12 or so. It last for quite awhile, strips paint, chrome plating, I have yet to have it harm anything I've used it on. Strips paint off of plastic or resin without any damage. I've put clear parts in it and it does not fade or haze the clear. I've even had it loosen up CA glue off parts to the point where it just flakes off, without damage. The only "bad" thing that's happened with CSC, I left some parts in some CSC for like a year, and all it did was lighten up the red plastic of the stock kit to a pinky colour.

If you can find it in your area I recommend this product highly. Caution, the CSC strips the oils out of paints and makes them brittle so they just flake off the surface, don't use your bare hands in it. It wont hurt, but it will dry your hands out and cause them to become wrinkly and eventually peel, like a sun burn. So use gloves. Afterwards just remove the parts, wash them in soap and water and then dry.

David

Seamus McRae
09-19-2014, 10:22 PM
Thanks David
Is there anything more you can tell me about it? What is its primary purpose? I've had a look on Castrol Australia's website which lists a number of industrial & motoring cleaners but not sure which one is going to be similar to what you have in Canada.

Cheers

griffin-gt40
09-20-2014, 09:17 AM
Its an engine degreaser.

Here's a link to the product

http://www.supercleanbrands.com/products

David

GTRfan01
09-20-2014, 10:37 AM
i hope you find a solution!
when i was stripping mine i tried a degreaser that i had lying around (its a citrus degreaser)
i had used it for stripping chrome off parts, but it did nothing for my paint stripping.

ive never seen this degreaser that griffin is talking about in australia, but it doesnt look like a castrol product anymore?
you could even just try something similar if you can find it.

stevenoble
09-20-2014, 03:40 PM
Any Mr Muscle type spray oven cleaner will safely strip enamels. Just spray it into an airtight container or plastic bag, add the parts you want to strip and leave overnight. A gentle scrub with an old toothbrush will remove the paint.
It's probably the clear that's yellowed, what clear did you use..??

drunken monkey
09-20-2014, 03:48 PM
given the risk factor, I have to ask, why not just get another kit?

Diccy
09-20-2014, 03:58 PM
As griffin-gt40 said, everybody has his own preferable way of doing this, mine is brake fluid, but I WOULD NOT recommend that for an evo V/ VI. Have used it many times before and only had problems with the evo V so started to pay more attention to treats about problems about paint stripping with brake fluids, and almost always it was with the evo's V/ VI. Must be something differant within the plastic composition or so...

Add your comment to this topic!