Page updated on 12-14-2017

HeadLamp, Instrumental light and Radio not Working

at1212b
09-17-2014, 10:00 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody could assist.

Today, I was driving my 89 Caprice, and I got the "Battery" warning light flash several times.

After, I noticed my headlamp not turning on anymore, as well as the instrument panel light. After playing around, my interior light doesn't work as well.

When I have the radio on, and I press the "headlamp" switch on the left side, the Radio goes into static.

Any idea on what could the issue be?

Thank you.

at1212b
09-17-2014, 10:06 PM
Could it be a bad dimmer switch?

Blue Bowtie
09-17-2014, 11:35 PM
What is the charging voltage?

Since the radio and headlamps are on completely segregated circuits, I doubt that the light switch is the only problem, if it is a problem at all. Verify the battery, alternator, and ground connections. If all the fuses are intact, check the fusible links at the starter.

silicon212
09-18-2014, 07:36 PM
Blue Bowtie has it ... grounds or a fusible link.

emarkay
11-11-2014, 10:00 PM
Failing alternator, loose belt, bad connections there, poor grounds, failing battery. This is where I would look first - that ""idiot light"" is indicating a negative current draw (from battery instead of to battery). Remember there could always be 2 different problems, similar but not related, also...

silicon212
11-13-2014, 03:02 PM
Check the grounding strap between the engine block and the firewall. I'll bet it's tango-uniform.

Add a 4-gauge wire between the alternator bracket (where the negative battery cable attaches) and the radiator core support.

Add your comment to this topic!