2002 Ford Explorer XLS making buckling noise?

BHoskins
09-16-2014, 05:04 AM
Hello I own a 2002 Ford Explorer and I need help in diagnosing a problem. Whenever I start to pick up speed it starts to buckle and I have no idea why. I always have the 4x4 on auto and it still buckles. Please help thanks!!:banghead:

shorod
09-16-2014, 07:39 AM
Welcome to the forum!

I'm not familiar with the phrase "buckle" as it pertains to the engine running. Maybe you're referring to what's often called a "buck" where the engine chugs a bit under light or heavy load?

If that's what you're experiencing, it could be an engine misfire. When is the last time the truck has had a tune up, consisting of at least spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel filter, and the air filter checked? I don't recall if the 2002 has plug wires or Coil on Plug ignition. If it's CoP, it's not uncommon for a coil or two to fail after several thousand miles.

If you have access to a scan tool and you or someone you know have an idea what the sensor readings should be, you might connect the tool to your truck and see what the various sensor are reporting when the bucking occurs. That might point you in the correct direction for your issue as well.

Routine maintenance such as a tune up though is a good place to start if you don't have access to a scan tool since it's something your truck will likely need anyway.

-Rod

Add your comment to this topic!