Page updated on 11-17-2017

paint problem;to strip or sand?

GTRfan01
09-06-2014, 09:45 PM
hi all,
i just clear coated a model which did not go to plan :headshake
the clear cracked the base color, some spots worse that others,
im looking at it now wondering if i should sand the cracks out and repaint over, or if i should try to strip the paint..... which i have not done before.

the base coat i have used will strip of easy, i know, even with alcohol..... but the clear coat is automotive clear, should i try to strip with oven cleaner or degreaser?

how effective is this method with automotive grade clears?

thanks in advance

lezdep
09-06-2014, 11:08 PM
I have successfully stripped 2K urethane based clear in the past with 99% isopropyl alcohol.
You'll have to leave parts in it overnight or even longer. Then when paint is softened, you can
use old tooth brush to help it lift off and remove it.

My suggestion in your case would be to do complete strip. Next time, I think you need to
wait longer for base paint layers to dry completely.

stevenoble
09-07-2014, 02:23 AM
Strip it and start again. Sometimes if you just sand it the cracks will come back again when you re-paint it.

GTRfan01
09-07-2014, 07:39 AM
I have successfully stripped 2K urethane based clear in the past with 99% isopropyl alcohol.
You'll have to leave parts in it overnight or even longer. Then when paint is softened, you can

My suggestion in your case would be to do complete strip. Next time, I think you need to

ok thank you i will try that,
the model has actually been lying around for 3 months before i put the clear on, so it was obviously a bad reaction between the two paints, its just strange because ive used this brand for years without a problem using this same clear, also the model was a two tone paint job and only one of the colors reacted (both colors are same type of paint):dunno:

GTRfan01
09-07-2014, 07:41 AM
Strip it and start again. Sometimes if you just sand it the cracks will come back again when you re-paint it.

oh ok, thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

nugundam93
09-07-2014, 01:13 PM

ditto. much better in the long run if you strip it completely (and i can vouch for how good 99% isopropyl alcohol is - you can leave clear parts soaked in it for months and it still won't craze/attack the clear parts).

GTRfan01
09-07-2014, 10:57 PM
thanks guys,
i ended up rubbing the clear back a bit to get through the clear a bit and soaking in methylated spirits (Denatured alcohol) and it worked a treat :thumbsup:
......back to square 1 again, ill be busy painting them again now:biggrin:

nugundam93
09-08-2014, 11:51 AM
what kind of paint was your basecoat for the denatured alcohol to easily strip it off? planning to try that too since i have a lot of that lying around. lol.

GTRfan01
09-08-2014, 08:00 PM
what kind of paint was your basecoat for the denatured alcohol to easily strip it off? planning to try that too since i have a lot of that lying around. lol.

do you mean the color or primer?

i was using Auto Air Colors (by createx) for the color-which as i said ive used for a long time without any problems at all, with any clear coat ive ever used on it....this was such a strange thing to happen i still cant get over it.:eek7:

but the primer was tamiya which didnt come off as easy with the denatured alclhol, but i think it softened it a little?...

Add your comment to this topic!