2008 Impala LT 3.5 Flex Fuel Power Steering Pump

blackout0887
08-31-2014, 09:10 AM
My car is constantly making a whining sound. I thought it was because my wife put too much power steering fluid in. I took out fluid and made sure there was no air in there. But it is still making the sound. Any ideas on what it could be?

Black_Blade
09-04-2014, 07:35 AM
See about getting a vacuum pump, like a Mityvac MV8510 or similar and put about 20 in of vacuum on the power steering pump reservoir. See if it holds the vacuum. If it don't, you can check out all your power steering lines looking for any suspect areas for wetness (leaking). I sometimes find corrosion of the high pressure line underneath the plastic shielding where the lines travel horizontally along the steering gear about a foot from where they screw into the steering gear.
If it holds the vacuum pretty good (losing an inch of vacuum isn't too bad) you can jack your front wheels up off the ground, then with the engine running, turn your wheels from one side to the other several times. This is obviously alot easier if you have a helper, they can turn the wheel while you keep an eye on the vacuum guage and also monitor if any bubbles are being pulled from the reservoir. If you are pulling fluid out into the little container (maybe along with bubbles), make sure to stop the process and keep the fluid levels topped up in the reservoir.

If your holding vacuum when wheels are straight and as soon as you turn the wheels and immediately lose all vacuum, this usually indicates that the seals in the steering gear are pooched and you need to replace it, and the power steering pump as well, since it most likely has been damaged with all that air in the system. I actually do this test first, with the front wheels up off the ground and engine not running. Good way to quickly check if the steering gear is the culprit. If its good then proceed to the method with the engine running.

Hope this helps

Add your comment to this topic!