2000 sonata 6cyl running hot

dwinegar
08-31-2014, 12:45 AM
I have a 2000 sonata 6cyl automatic, have replaced the thermostat and top radiator hose, still gets hot. no water on ground.

dwinegar
08-31-2014, 01:02 AM
something else I have 104,333 miles and also when the A/C is running sometimes when I have to stop at a red light to long it starts to blow like humid warm air , the needle starts to move to hot but when i shut off the A/C it cooled back down until yesterday. Also yesterday check engine light came on car ran rough for a couple mins and then the light went off and it ran fine. i need to find out as soon as i can what might be wrong. this is my only form of transportation I really am in dire straits. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME OUT!! THANKS

DeltaP
08-31-2014, 10:58 AM
Check if the radiator/ac cooling fan/s are working. Check their fuses in the underhood fuse/relay box. Fuses location should be marked on the box cover or in the car's hand book. Controlling relays for the fans should be marked also. If fuse is good swap the controlling relay with another that has the same part number. Make sure you pick a non essential relay to swap with, like "horn" and install it correctly.( Note: all relays are oriented in the same direction). If no-go then you'll have to check the fan motor harness for power. If you have power there when the relay clicks "on",( you can feel it while holding yer hand on the relay), then the fan motor can be bad. Disconnect it from the circuit and direct wire it temporarily to the battery. If it spins them its ok and you're back to tracing wiring circuits. If none of this happens then it can be a temperature control sensor on the engine or wiring in between. HTH

dwinegar
08-31-2014, 02:07 PM
DeltaP.,
I just saw your reply thank you I will try this if it works then i will be thrilled. This car really has been good to me just here lately has it started to have things go wrong. Not in a position however to purchase a new one. So really need to get this lined out. Really trying to do it ourselves as it is very costly in a shop. IF you think of anything else it could be please hollar at me. i will let you know the outcome .Thanks again for replying.

dwinegar
09-01-2014, 12:21 AM
DeltaP,
we did what you said and we needed to replace one of the fans. I was so thrilled. Got everything put back together and walla it still is getting hot the needle just went over the line in the middle. shut off the engine and my husband said he put his hand on the radiator it was not even warm touch the top radiator hose and it was barely warm. what could this be, can you help now.

dwinegar
09-01-2014, 12:24 AM
If anyone else reads my post and has an idea what this may be please please give me your thoughts I need to have this fixed before Tuesday. I cant just keep replacing parts that don't fix the problem. I know it is a holiday weekend but i need my car I am stranded without it. PLEASE PLEASE someone hop on here and tell me what to do.

DeltaP
09-01-2014, 09:09 AM
I assure you replacing the bad fan motor wasn't a waste of time and money. You just haven't stumbled on the next problem yet. Did you bleed all the air from the cooling system when you replaced the thermostat? Was the thermostat installed in the proper direction? Was it installed with the jiggle valve up? Do you have adequate flow through the radiator? Possible water pump impeller erosion or partially restricted radiator. Need to scan PCM for DTC's.

dwinegar
09-01-2014, 05:10 PM
Thanks just saw your message and doing all you said will let you know what happens next. hopefully it will work.

dwinegar
09-02-2014, 12:03 AM
DeltaP,
Thanks so much for all your help you have saved me a ton of money this seems to have done the trick. I am about to take it for a second drive to make sure it does not run hot before work tomorrow. Thanks again for everything.

Add your comment to this topic!