Page updated on 11-21-2017

Zero 1k clear over Tamiya TS ?

keveuh
08-24-2014, 05:14 AM
Hi everybody.

I'm currently spraying some Tamiya TS 33 Dull Red on a kit but it seems that the TS33 dries matt nor gloss, which I didn't know at all.

Anyways, thankfully I still have a good amount of Zero 1K clear. Do you think it is safe to spray some 1K over the TS ?

If yes how long do you think I should wait to spray the 1k over the TS ?

By the way I didn't thin at all the Tamiya TS paint eventhough I aribrushed it.

Thousand thanks !

modellmaker.
08-24-2014, 05:19 AM
Hi,

It's no problem if you use zero-paint over Tamiya paints.
I never had any problems using zero-paint over TS colors.

I would let the TS paint dry overnight to make sure the paint is dry and hardend.
Apply a few thin layers of 1k if there are decals involved.
After a few thin layers ( 2 or 3 ), one nice covering layer and it must be oke.

good luck!

modellmaker.

racer93
08-25-2014, 08:57 PM
What modellmaker said.

One thing is you've GOT to make sure that the paint is completely off-gassed and that the decals are COMPLETELY dry before top coating it. If you're using a dehydrator, 1-2 days and if not, several more.

I've used 2k clears over TS colors and decals for years and only had problems when I rushed things with not-quite-dry decals.

Good luck!

Daniel

Hi,

It's no problem if you use zero-paint over Tamiya paints.
I never had any problems using zero-paint over TS colors.

I would let the TS paint dry overnight to make sure the paint is dry and hardend.
Apply a few thin layers of 1k if there are decals involved.
After a few thin layers ( 2 or 3 ), one nice covering layer and it must be oke.

good luck!

modellmaker.

keveuh
08-26-2014, 04:48 AM
Thanks for the answer guys. I think I'll wait untill tomorrow and then sand it slightly with 2000 grit sand paper and the nest day put the clear. So the paint can rest at least 3 days, even 4 untill the clear, so I hope it's enough.

racer93
08-26-2014, 07:22 AM
One quick and dirty way of checking if the paint is finished curing is put it up to your nose and smell it. If it smells like thinner/chemicals, then it's still off gassing and needs to cure more. This may not be 100% accurate but it is much closer than eyeballing it...

keveuh
08-26-2014, 08:29 AM
One quick and dirty way of checking if the paint is finished curing is put it up to your nose and smell it. If it smells like thinner/chemicals, then it's still off gassing and needs to cure more. This may not be 100% accurate but it is much closer than eyeballing it...

Yes I can try that too, but I don't know if it's always accurate because for example the Mr Base White I use tend to smell even days after I sprayed it and it's supposed to dry fast since it's a primer.

modellmaker.
08-26-2014, 03:00 PM
Just leave it for a few days!!
I'm using Tamiya TS spray cans for 20 years now and never had any problem after a few days.
Don't be scared, after two days you can use zero-paint 1k clearcoat.

Sometimes in the summer I use zero-paint the same day I use Tamiya spray cans!!

flhansen
09-11-2014, 05:58 AM
Hi

Zero 1K over TS sprays cracks for me I'm afraid. It will take years, but it will crack, so I don't use it any more.

The clear was sprayed weeks/ months after the white paint. And it cracked on the nose and airbox as well. AND on other models. :-(

General advice is to only use Zero clear with Zero paints,

Take a look at these cracking pictures:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a241/ipms01/div12_20_resize.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a241/ipms01/div12_18_resize.jpg

keveuh
09-11-2014, 08:27 AM
Yeah that's what I'm afraid would happen to me as well. But the TS I used wasn't gloss but matt so it might be a different story. I'm not done yet with spraying the car body since I'm working on something else nowadays but as soon as that's done I'll continue the kit.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

BVC500
09-11-2014, 08:52 AM
What about the reverse? I was thinking of spraying 2k down just to get a good hard surface to prevent rub through, then spaying the final coats with TS-13 for polishing purposes (its much easier to polish than 2k).

keveuh
09-11-2014, 02:10 PM
I think the problem is the curing time of the Tamiya TS paint. I remember an article on the official Tamiya US webpage where they say that in that example the use of TS-13 over TS paints. You either spray the TS 13 within 30 minutes after you've sprayed the TS basecoat OR you must wait one month for the TS basecoat to completely cure and then you can safely apply the TS 13, but then again I read many people saying they had good result not following those recommandations and other people like flhansen reporting cracks appearing weeks, months or even years after.

Fangi0
09-11-2014, 04:43 PM
What about the reverse? I was thinking of spraying 2k down just to get a good hard surface to prevent rub through, then spaying the final coats with TS-13 for polishing purposes (its much easier to polish than 2k).

Never ever spray Tamiya TS paints over 2K clear. The 2K will wrinkle like leather and the whole lot will peel off in sheets...

Add your comment to this topic!