Page updated on 11-21-2017

Needing help to find Renault 5 Turbo rally rims and side view mirrors

rallymaster
08-16-2014, 09:31 AM
Hello,

Having a few days off I'm sorting out some things, especially my different Renault 5 Turbo models to build (Saby NewMan, 82 Works car, 83 Thérier's Sodicam car...)

I recently bought the Renaissance Gr.B bumper transkit, but once more I'm disappointed by the item... Wrong shape, wrong détails...
I decided to make my own.
So I took a careful look at all détails of the car, and I'm wondering where to find the correct rims and side view mirrors.

Here is pic of the car, which used same rims in MonteCarlo and Portugal (at least a part of the events)

http://images.forum-auto.com/mesimages/478494/therier-83.jpg

Can someone tell me which rims these ones are ? they looks lke the Maxi 5 Turbo ones at the front but are different at the rear.
Do someone have in mind a similar model I could use ? :screwy:

And for the side view mirrors, I thought to use some bikes mirrors as they looks like some bikes mirrors, is someone able to find me the most similar model and kit I could use them from ? :naughty:

Also if someone has already built the Sodicam model, I'll be pleased to know the paint reference he used. :icon16:

Many thanks ! :wink:

oter
08-16-2014, 11:02 AM
the rims in scuderia Italia.lab ragnotti-thimonier phillips sponcored car is very close

rallymaster
08-16-2014, 11:46 AM
the rims in scuderia Italia.lab ragnotti-thimonier phillips sponcored car is very close

Thnaks for your answer. That's the first one I check when looking for these rims, front ones are close but rear ones not so much...

http://images.forum-auto.com/mesimages/394421/MAX5.jpg

that's probably the closest ones though... :screwy: :dunno:

spede
08-16-2014, 12:50 PM
Aren't the rear rims a bit same looking as the ones in Scuderias Celica TA64 - Portugal Rally?

I think mirrors are quite close the mirrors of Lancia 037 or Stratos. But just in my opinion because that photo is quite small :-)

rallymaster
08-16-2014, 01:28 PM
Aren't the rear rims a bit same looking as the ones in Scuderias Celica TA64 - Portugal Rally?

I think mirrors are quite close the mirrors of Lancia 037 or Stratos. But just in my opinion because that photo is quite small :-)

Thanks Spede for your post. Yeah sorry I can't find HD pics of Thérier's car...:disappoin

I didn't think to Luca's celica and just checked it, in fact they are closer to the Maxi 5 Turbo ! :iceslolan

For the side view mirrors you may be right, I haven't thought to Lancia models, thanks !! :thumbsup:

Hunt goes on for rims but they might be unique and unmade in 1/24 scale... :dunno:

rallymaster
08-16-2014, 01:41 PM
... that photo is quite small :-)

A bigger one showing rear rim better

http://images.forum-auto.com/mesimages/442505/bbs%20therier.jpg1..jpg

We see that contrary to celica or max5 rims there is a flat edge on the rim.
in fact it's like a front rim with larger edge, that may be the trick... :screwy: :iceslolan

malscar
08-17-2014, 08:48 AM
in fact it's like a front rim with larger edge, that may be the trick... :screwy: :iceslolan

That was what I was going to suggest then read you had already got to that point :iceslolan

rallymaster
08-17-2014, 10:19 AM
That was what I was going to suggest then read you had already got to that point :iceslolan

:grinyes: :grinyes: :grinyes:

I still have to find the front Wheel but I think only option is to start from Maxi 5 front rims or use it as it is to get the closest match.

I also sax in a pic from service park (or closed park before -?- rally) that in MC they used the classical 5 turbo rims.
MC isn't the event I first wanted to depict, would prefer Corsica or Portugal, but if it's the simplest solution I'll go for MC.
Thérier was very well before retiring on 4th stage after having scored one best time on stage.

chris24
08-19-2014, 06:05 AM
Hello Phil, I kinda agree with you with the flaws we sometimes encounter with Renaissance's products, but guess what....???

They have released those specific wheels, especially for the R5 Turbo gr.B (namely the "Tour de Corse") !!!

http://www.renaissance-models.com/ter/media/com_hikashop/upload/24speedr5t.jpg

http://www.renaissance-models.com/ter/index.php/autos-toutes-echelles/echelle-1-24/accessoires/produits/2370-roues-speedline-15-r5-turbo

I have them and I can assure you they are very good, better than Maxi or Celica transformed wheels could be. They were 3D designed by a very serious guy and the master was printed by a reputed belgian company. The tires are Michelin TB15, excellent also but I am not 100% sure of their accuracy as Renault moved to Michelin TRX when they went into gr.B in 1983.

This Sodicam version is also one of my future (...) projects but all the decals will have to be "personal computer" designed (and some of them are hard to decypher..) and the front wheel arches will require a little bit of work as they are more rounded than the gr.4 version.
For the bumper, I bought a few ones from Ken some time ago, so... :)

rallymaster
08-19-2014, 08:32 AM
Hi Chris,
many thans for your message, I completely missed this release !
I will go for that for sure, they look perfect, anyway better than their bumper.
I don't think I will rework the front wheels arches as difference isn't really visible from the pics I have, Gr. B was just a bit larger but I don't think it really changed the fender or Wheel arch, and if so I don't think difference will be really vsible on 1/24 scale.
I think I'll try to change tires for slick ones, I'm trying to cast my own from modified Tamiya 5 turbo ones.
Bumper work is on the way (only thing I did in 5 days holydays...) but tomorrow I leave to German rallye so things are suspended now.

Ken bumpers is probably the best option. I will try to build my own conversion, I already did 50% of the work, everything needing to be cut is cut and I started rebuilding it but now I'll lack time... again and again... Deutschland rallye and then back to work... pffff... slave life he said :lol:

For the Sodicam livery, I have decals from Spain, eBay seller " vic98auto " and decals seem good even if I haven't tried them yet.
It's probably the nicest Gr.B livery and a good opportunity to non official Renault livery model. And it's Thérier driving...! :lol:
important point will be the paint as I can't find good reliable references for color codes, I'll try to find the correct one following instinct and some tests.

Thanks again for you post and good sight to Renaissance TK.

chris24
08-19-2014, 11:15 AM
You're welcome Phil.
Trust me, all the last wheels releases from Renaissance have been CAD developed and 3D printed so their quality has really improved. You have PLS, Gotti and Speedline wheels for Renault, Gotti and PLS wheels for 911... very useful for the Galtier, Renault Chartres, Almeras and Meznarie cars, among others !

By the way, happy to know that a decal sheet has been released for Therier's car. I will keep an eye on that eBay seller (because for the moment he has nothing to sell) and hopefully I will buy one myself. I love this livery and Therier is certainly my favorite french driver with Ragnotti and Mouton. Sorry but the invasion of all those Sebastiens leave me as cold as ice :p

And for the wheel arches, I personnally think the difference is clearly visible but of course you do as you please :)

Here is the gr.B at the foreground, with a street version behind...
http://www.auto-mag.info/public/4100/23001/img6940.jpg

...which is the same as the gr.4 :
http://photo-voiture.motorlegend.com/high/renault-r5-maxi-turbo-63711.jpg

Cheers ! ;)

rallymaster
08-19-2014, 12:55 PM
I'm really sorry but I don't see any major difference from these two pics beetween Gr.4 and Gr.B...?! :screwy: :dunno:
it seems that fenders ends a bit higher, angle of extension at the front seems more triangular on the Gr.B and more straight on the Gr.4, to allow bigger wheels (15") but sincerely, either you have better eyes than I, or I really don't have eyes and brain correctly connected !! :lol:

Yes last release from Renaissance seems better, except when they make a stupid mistake, like copying front rim to make rear one !!
refer to the Gr.4 5 turbo classical rims, they used the front one to make the rear one !!?? you can have the best designer or caster, the best 3D but you do false... :dunno:
thanks again for your informations

PS: oh yes of course I see !! that just reaches my brain !! :lol:
Gr.4 Wheel arch is straighter when Gr. B one is Rounder, yes, that allows bigger wheels, and so top of fender is probably higher too.
I won't try big modification but I may take a look at what is possible with easy and quick work on it to get it more accurate to Gr.B, would be a pain to not to try when like me you give a lot of importance to accuracy :)
thanks again.

chris24
08-26-2014, 08:40 AM
PS: oh yes of course I see !! that just reaches my brain !! :lol:
Gr.4 Wheel arch is straighter when Gr. B one is Rounder, yes, that allows bigger wheels, and so top of fender is probably higher too.
I won't try big modification but I may take a look at what is possible with easy and quick work on it to get it more accurate to Gr.B, would be a pain to not to try when like me you give a lot of importance to accuracy :)
thanks again.

:grinyes: You know, it took me at least 20 years to pay attention to the R5 fenders and notice the differences between gr.4 and gr.B. But once I did, I couldn't avoid them. So you're forgiven ;)

Be aware though that the modifications are deeper than they may seem at first look (I am busy at that for a few months and each time I open the box where I put my R5 aside, I am not satisfied and I redo the job...:screwy:)
But I am surely not as talented as some of the crazy guys we regularly encounter here !
:icon16:

PS: so, how was your 2014 ADAC rallye ? It seems that a korean car with a belgian flag on it has become an interesting modelling subject :iceslolan

rallymaster
08-26-2014, 11:32 AM
:grinyes: You know, it took me at least 20 years to pay attention to the R5 fenders and notice the differences between gr.4 and gr.B. But once I did, I couldn't avoid them. So you're forgiven ;)

Be aware though that the modifications are deeper than they may seem at first look (I am busy at that for a few months and each time I open the box where I put my R5 aside, I am not satisfied and I redo the job...:screwy:)
But I am surely not as talented as some of the crazy guys we regularly encounter here !
:icon16:

PS: so, how was your 2014 ADAC rallye ? It seems that a korean car with a belgian flag on it has become an interesting modelling subject :iceslolan

Thanks Chris fr all the tips and advices.

Yes, german rallye saw first Hyundai and Neuville win, especially after Latvala had lead the whole rallye and finally crashed, as Ogier did (twice !) and also Meeke !!
even Neuville crashed, he rolled (7 !!) in shakedown.

I'm happy for Neuville, he was my favorite since he missed it last year for a few and only a mistake at the end of the rallye, just a pain it happens after other drivers crashed, even if it doesn't take anything off of his talent because he did a good race, going to top of classification stage after stage till he finally got the win.
I'm also happy for Hyundai, probably the most impressive race structure after VW.

if only Belkit chose to make the Hyundai after the VW, for sure Neuville win will be my choice !!! :grinyes:

Add your comment to this topic!