Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

starting issues

wyodan59
08-10-2014, 11:37 PM
Hello. I have a 97 Plymouth grand voyager.3.3L It turns over good. It tries to fire but will not. Sometimes it will start and dies quickly. Sometimes it will run and rev then dies. Sometimes it starts and idles down so slow that you can't tell it's running then dies. The fuel pressure is good. That's all I've checked. Can anyone give me a direction to look.
Previous to now it would not start then just start.good to go for month then no start. This went on for several months. Now I'm at the point outlined above.

RIP
08-14-2014, 03:31 PM
Test the MAP sensor. It's on top at the intake manifold. It measures manifold pressures (engine load) and adjust the air/fuel mixture accordingly. Your higher altitudes may be compounding the problem.

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/chrysler/2.0L-2.4L/map-sensor-diagnostic-test-1

wyodan59
08-14-2014, 11:23 PM
Hello. I was out messing with this van the other day. I tried to start it and no luck. I opened the fuel pressure test fitting and there was no fuel squirting out with the key on. I opened the fuse box under the hood. taped on the shut off relay with my finger and then tried the fuel test port again and there was fuel coming out. I tried to start the van. It started up. It has now ran for two days. I am not sure what is going wrong. I have tested these relays on several different problems and they always test good. Thank you for the replies. I will assume there is a problem in my fuse box until something further shows up. Thanks Again.

DeltaP
08-15-2014, 08:52 AM
Try a new ASD rela.y There maybe poor,dirty,high resistance connections on the socket terminals. Are any of the relay pins burned,corroded or blued?

DeltaP
08-15-2014, 08:53 AM
Try a new ASD relay. There maybe poor,dirty,high resistance connections on the socket terminals. Are any of the relay pins burned,corroded or blued?

RIP
08-16-2014, 03:20 AM
Can I add to the confusion? The fuel pump is activated in what I'll call two modes. When the key is turned to on/run before rotating to the start position but only for a second. This is what "primes" the fuel pressure back up to spec before starting after the engine has been off for any period of time. Second, when the crankshaft sensor tells the PCM the engine is rotating.

"I opened the fuse box under the hood. taped on the shut off relay with my finger and then tried the fuel test port again and there was fuel coming out."

How can taping the ASD relay activate the fuel pump if the engine is not rotating or the ignition switch is not at on/run? Something squirrely going on.

DeltaP
08-16-2014, 08:01 AM
Key must have been on and inadvertently moved something else that was loose during the thumping process.

RIP
08-16-2014, 05:53 PM
Key must have been on and inadvertently moved something else that was loose during the thumping process.

I'd sure feel better if there was an answer that didn't involve conjecture. Hopefully the OP has the answer.

DeltaP
08-17-2014, 10:11 AM
Have you had someone turn the key to on and off while you listened inside the fuel filler neck for the sound of the fuel pump running briefly each time? The fuel pump relay is right next to the ASD relay so I'm sure you'll be rechecking that. Try swapping the ASD and FP relays one at a time with a similar relay for test purposes, (trans control relay)? Scrape the relay in and out of the socket several times to clean up the terminals. These relays aren't expensive. Check the fuel pump circuit connections and grounds for integrity. HTH

Add your comment to this topic!